Maple Oat Pecan Scones

Buttery oat scones packed with pecans are brushed with a scrumptious maple glaze and drizzled with a powdered sugar glaze. Scones have to be one of my favorite quick and delicious breakfast items to make.  Sweet maple flavor combined with hearty oats and pecans make these the perfect choice for a chilly fall morning.

Maple Oat Pecan Scones

• 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
  • 2 tablespoons milk water

For Powered Sugar Drizzle:

• 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk water

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
  2. Using a food processor or blender, finely grind oats.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with fit the paddle attachment mix mix flour, oats, sugar, salt and baking powder.Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas.
  4. Add maple syrup and mix well.
  5. In a two cup glass measuring cup, combine heavy cream, egg and maple extract; mix well.
  6. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix well.
  7. Add pecans and mix just to incorporate.
  8. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Flour your hands and knead and pat dough into a 8 to 10 inch circle; cut into 8 wedges. Place on prepared baking sheet.
  9. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until light brown. Place on wire rack to cool.
  10. While the scones are cooling, make the maple glaze by mixing the powdered sugar, maple extract, and  milk together until smooth. When scones are cool, use a pastry brush to spread maple glaze over the top of each scone. Allow to firm.
  11. While the maple glaze is firming, combine all of the ingredients for the powdered sugar glaze. Drizzle over each scone and allow the icing to dry before serving (about an hour).

Source: adapted from Food.com

10 Responses to “Maple Oat Pecan Scones”

happywhennothungry — November 8, 2010 @ 10:27 am

These scones look amazing and perfect for the fall! I just made scones this past weekend as well (great minds think alike)! :-)

biz319 — November 8, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

I really, really want that – now! I am in Phase I of South Beach (second week) and my lust for carbs is getting stronger by the day – these are even insulin worthy in my book! :D

Felicity — November 8, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

My mouth is watering…

Janet — November 8, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

Wow! @RecipeGirl was right- These do look Fab! I’m definitely gonna have to make some now!

Southern Elle — November 9, 2010 @ 4:03 am

These sound great – love the idea of putting oats in scones to make them a bit more sustaining.

Sara — November 5, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Just made these this morning, and they were great! I didn’t grind up the oats at all… (too lazy) and they were still very delicious. Love the maple with the pecans.

• Christina replied: — November 8th, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Thanks so much Sara for letting me know how they turned out! It is great to know that you don’t have to grind up the oats and it still turns out great! I will have to try it with unground oats next time! :)

7. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Katherine — February 5, 2013 @ 9:52 pm

MAKE THESE SCONES!
    You will just love these scones. I made them today, my husband enjoyed them so much he said they would be great even without the glaze. I personally love the glaze, major sweet tooth.
    I didn’t have the maple extract so I reduced some maple syrup by half. With the syrup being extra strong it worked quite well, maybe better.

• Christina replied: — February 19th, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

Yay! I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed the scones Katherine! Thanks so much for letting me know how they turned out for you! :)