Toffee Mocha Cupcakes

Chocolate, toffee, and espresso combine to make one awesome cupcake. These Toffee Mocha Cupcakes remind me of one of my favorite drinks at Starbucks of the same name, a Toffee Mocha. Mmmmm… :) I made these amazing cupcakes for my friend Laura’s thirty one gifts party that she was throwing. As I was trying to think of what I could make to take to the party, I remembered seeing these cupcakes in my Taste of Home Fall Baking Magazine and have been waiting for a reason to make them. I mean come on, you can’t go wrong with toffee and chocolate!

Toffee Mocha Cupcakes

• 1 cup milk chocolate toffee bits

Espresso Buttercream Frosting:

• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons espresso powder

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake cups with liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Dissolve espresso granules in boiling water; cool.
  3. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with espresso mixture and mix well. Fold in toffee bits.
  4. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Move the pan to a cooling rack, and let cool for 10 minutes before removing the cupcakes from the pan and letting them finish cooling on the cooling rack.
  5. To make the frosting: mix the espresso powder into the vanilla until dissolved; set aside.
  6. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, stopping once to scrape the sides of the bowl. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar a little at a time, waiting until it is mostly incorporated before adding more. Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, scrape the sides of the bowl and increase the speed to medium-high and whip until fluffy, about a minute or two. Add the espresso and vanilla mixture and continue to mix at medium-high until it is completely incorporated, scraping the sides as necessary.
  7. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with chocolate chips and toffee bits.

Source: Toffee Mocha Cupcakes from Taste of Home Fall Baking 2010 and Espresso Buttercream Frosting from Brown Eyed Baker

21 Responses to “Toffee Mocha Cupcakes”

littlequeenjay — November 19, 2010 @ 6:24 am

Lovely cakes!

Annie's Dish — November 19, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Those look and sound so good! I love toffee.

happywhennothungry — November 19, 2010 @ 9:03 am

These cupcakes look delicious! You definitely cannot go wrong with this combo. Great photos! Thanks for sharing :-)

The Food Hound — November 19, 2010 @ 9:10 am

I am supporting your endeavors to make anything that involves espresso powder :) These look divine!!! Can’t wait to try them!

Lindsey at Burn Me Not — November 19, 2010 @ 11:08 am

I have that magazine too, and have pulled some delightful recipes from it! I totally fell in love when I saw these cupcakes, but when I went to make them I forgot the toffee… ha, whoops! They did however make a wonder mocha cupcake. :)

briarrose — November 19, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

Wow that looks sooo goood! Lovely job.

Lucie — November 20, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

They’re beautiful! The frosting looks nice and creamy.

Jenn@eatcakefordinner — November 21, 2010 @ 1:04 am

Wow, chocolate, toffee & espresso – that sounds divine! What exactly are milk chocolate toffee bits?

kristisn — November 21, 2010 @ 7:43 am

I just ran across your blog and am so glad I did! All of your food looks great. These cupcakes make me wish I had one right now :)

Dustin Baier — November 21, 2010 @ 11:12 am

These look really tasty and your pictures and plating are great. You should share these over at http://www.dishfolio.com they would be a welcome addition.

FoodFitnessFreshair — November 22, 2010 @ 11:05 am

These look and sound amazing!

Chero — November 22, 2010 @ 11:19 pm

These look deeee-licious. Can the shortening be substituted for regular unsalted butter?

• Christina replied: — November 23rd, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

Thanks! :) Yes. you can subsitute the shortening with an equal amount of unsalted butter.

Christine — January 22, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

I just made these cupcakes and I must say they are fantastic! One of the best cupcakes I have ever made. Thanks!

• Christina replied: — January 22nd, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

Oh wow!! Thank you so much for telling me that!! I love that you enjoyed these! :)

14. Pingback: Sweet and Sour Meatballs | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

mohammed, saudi arabia — April 29, 2012 @ 1:15 am

hi, did you use instant or regular espersso powder?

mohammed, SA — April 29, 2012 @ 11:36 pm

thank you, i’ve made these cupcake yesterday, and they were amazing, i just used toffee bits as i don’t have milk choco toffee bits. can’t wait to try another recipe from your lovely blog.

Hannah — March 18, 2014 @ 11:02 pm

I just made these, my one concern was that they didn’t rise past the pan. But other then that, these are a gift from the gods. My mother just tried one of these and she was raving, (It wasn’t the raving of a mother who doesn’t want you to feel bad, believe me I can tell!)
    I have found something I can use to bribe her with, so I’m happy. I love your blog and this has to be my favorite thing I’ve made off of it! Thanks<3