Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes

Back in October I was telling you about the most decadent, moist, and delicious cupcakes I have ever tasted.  They were so perfect! Today we had a pitch in at work and I wanted to bring a seasonal cupcake to share. Using the batter from those amazing cupcakes, I added chocolate chips and peppermint extract to create some amazing christmas cupcakes. Garnished with crushed candy canes, these decadent peppermint infused cupcakes with a creamy peppermint buttercream frosting, are sure to please the biggest grinch! :)

Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes

For Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes:

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup strong black coffee (just brewed and still warm)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips

Peppermint Butter Cream Frosting:

• 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
  • 6 candy canes, crushed

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with baking cup liners.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and peppermint extract; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips. Batter will be thin. Transfer batter to a glass measuring cup with a pour spout and pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan. Cool the cupcakes in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
  4. To make butter cream frosting, In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
  5. Add peppermint extract and heavy cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more.
  6. To make two color swirls. Divide frosting into two separate bowls. Color each bowl of frosting your desired color. Place each color in separate disposable decorators bags. Place the two filled disposable decorators bags into a large decorators decorating bagfitted with the 1M decorating tip and approximately 1/4″ above cupcake top at a 90° angle to cupcake surface,  pipe a spiral of icing, beginning at the outer edge and working inward.

Source: adapted from Hersheys

25 Responses to “Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes”

The Food Hound — December 7, 2010 @ 7:57 am

Oil instead of butter in the cupcake batter– interesting! If you give them a big thumbs-up, then I need to make them :) I bet your co-workers loved you!

AliGirl Cooks — December 7, 2010 @ 8:11 am

Ooooh. I’m on a total peppermint kick right now. I’m adding these to the “make for the holidays” list!

fattydumpling — December 7, 2010 @ 8:30 am

That cupcake is gorgeous…especially that FROSTING.

HappyWhenNotHungry — December 7, 2010 @ 9:12 am

These look delicious and so festive too! My sister-in-law’s birthday is coming up this weekend, so I think I know what I’ll be baking for her. Thanks for sharing!

briarrose — December 7, 2010 @ 10:13 am

These are so pretty. Love candy cane toppers.

KeepItSweet — December 7, 2010 @ 5:42 pm

i’d love to try that peppermint frosting!

beth — December 7, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

ohhh! those look even better than how you described them! please send some to me right away!

jennynoowyn — December 9, 2010 @ 5:16 am

A nice touch with the peppermint pieces! :)

ezsrecipes — December 9, 2010 @ 5:20 pm

GORGEOUS cupcakes! Perfect for the holidays! Congrats on making the Top 9 yet again! Always nice to see you on Foodbuzz! :)

Eileen — December 9, 2010 @ 7:51 pm

Beautiful cupcakes! And what goes better than chocolate and mint? Congrats on making the top 9!!

11. Pingback: Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Cori — December 16, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

Stumbled upon your blog and now I have a list a mile long of your recipes I must try! This one is first on the list for Christmas. How many cupcakes will this recipe yield?
    Thanks!

• Christina replied: — December 16th, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

Yea! These cupcakes are awesome and so perfect for this time of year! This recipe makes 24 cupcakes. Let me know how they turn out! :)

13. Pingback: Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes « Kate's Recipe Box

anusha98 — November 3, 2011 @ 3:32 am

WOW… AWESOME CUPCAKES :D.. I LOVEE PEPPERMINT :D

Julie — December 1, 2011 @ 11:06 am

I just made these for a cupcake contest at work.. results are still pending, but early reviews are a huge success! This is a fantastic recipe.. definitely the best chocolate cake I’ve ever had. If I could make one suggestion, though, it would be to hold off on adding the chocolate chips until about halfway through the baking.. that way they don’t end up on the bottom of the wrapper.

Happy baking!! And THANKS!!

• Christina replied: — December 8th, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

Julie,
      Yea!! I am so glad to hear that lots of people enjoyed them! I absolutely love this recipe for chocolate cupcakes…with and without the peppermint extract. Thanks for the tip about the chocolate chips I will have to give that a try next time I make these. I have also used the mini chocolate chips before and found that they don’t sink to the bottom as much. Thanks so much for letting me know how these cupcakes turned out for you! :)

amanda — December 6, 2011 @ 11:58 pm

really want to make these but what could i substitute the coffee for?

• Christina replied: — December 22nd, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

Amanda,
      You can substitute the coffee for hot chocolate or warm milk or water. If you do use coffee for this recipe, the cupcakes really do not taste like coffee. It just enhances the chocolate flavor. IF you give them a try I would love to hear how they turn out for you! :)

17. Pingback: Nutella Hazelnut Chewies | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

18. Pingback: 52 Cupcakes – #18 Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes | Learn With Jenny

thatfooddude — December 21, 2011 @ 6:19 am

I just made these cupcakes last night, to give as a Christmas gift/Thank you to some neighbors. I only tried one without frosting (I’m doing all the frostings today) it was good, but all the chocolate chips sank to the bottom of my batter, even while still in my big measuring cup that I used to pour the batter into the cups. I wound up having to spoon some of the chips out of some cups and add them to others, still most of the first batch didn’t get any chips. I thinks it’s an easy recipe and quite tasty, but I think I’ll wait until half-way through baking to add the chocolate chips next time.

• Christina replied: — January 5th, 2012 @ 10:53 pm

I hate that the chocolate chips sank to the bottom! :( I think waiting until half baked would be a great time to add the chocolate chips!

20. Pingback: Penguin Themed Baby Shower | Savvy Sassy Moms

nikki — June 14, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

These look absolutely amazing! I just stumbled on your blog because i saw some of your recipes on pinterest. I love to bake and your recipes look absolutely out of this world, this summer my goal is to make as many of them as I can! Thank you!!