Chicken Tikka Masala

I hope everyone had a wonderful New Year’s Eve last night! My husband and I celebrated at our favorite sushi restaurant and had some incredible cuisine. New Year’s Eve is always a fun and special night for me, not only because it is the last day of the year but New Year’s Day is my birthday! It is always wonderful to ring in the new year and celebrate my birthday surrounded by close friends! :) So in honor of my birthday today I thought what better recipe to share with you than my absolute favorite recipe ever! I love Indian food, it is so flavorful and delicious. I found this recipe for Chicken Tikka several years ago and never looked back. Chunks of chicken breast marinated in spices and yogurt then grilled to perfection and simmered in a flavorful creamy tomato sauce. My husband and I agree that this recipe is even better than the local Indian restaurant in town. I personally like my Indian food really spicy, however, my husband cannot handle the heat so I usually cut down on the cayenne pepper and jalapeno for him. Otherwise he would be sitting at the dining room table sweating and in pain! If you like it spicy though, go ahead and add an extra teaspoon of cayenne pepper and the whole jalapeno pepper. No Indian meal is complete without some garlic naan and to help you handle the heat, go ahead and make some baba ghanoush which is perfect to help cool down your mouth! :)

Don’t forget to check out Sweet Pea’s Kitchen Top 10 of 2010! :)

Chicken Tikka Masala

• 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoons salt, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  2. Preheat a grill for high heat.
  3. In a large heavy skillet over medium heat melt butter. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Stir in cumin, paprika, salt, and garam masala. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
  4. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.
  5. Add grilled chicken to the sauce mixture and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with garlic naan.

Source: adapted from allrecipes.com

58 Responses to “Chicken Tikka Masala”

1. Pingback: Garlic Naan and The Best of 2010 | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

lteefaw — January 1, 2011 @ 11:05 am

Looks good

• Christina replied: — January 4th, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

Thanks!

Kori — January 1, 2011 @ 11:20 am

A very happy birthday AND a happy new year to you! How fun to kick off the new year with a new age :) I hope 2011 is wonderful for you!

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 12:00 am

Thank you so much! :)

Peggy — January 1, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Funny, we actually had Chicken Tikka Masala for dinner last night! Hope you have a great birthday and Happy New Year!

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 12:00 am

Haha…great minds think alike! ;)

ezsrecipes — January 1, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

Happy Birthday! Happy New Year! Sushi for New Year’s Eve dinner sounds awesome, I love sushi. I think I am going to bookmark this, it looks pretty delicious!

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 12:02 am

Thank you so much! You should try this recipe out, it is my absolute favorite! :)

tryityoumightlikeit — January 1, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

Happy Birthday & Happy 2011!

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 12:39 am

Thanks! :)

Laura — January 1, 2011 @ 9:59 pm

I just found your blog via FoodGawker, and I cannot wait to try this recipe! My husband and I love to go out for Indian food. It looks like this recipe would be a hit. Thanks for sharing, and Happy Birthday!

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 12:04 am

This recipe is awesome! If you try it out, let me know what you thought. I love this recipe…spicy, flavorful and perfect! :)

Medifast Coupons — January 1, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

This looks delicious and easy to do. A great way to enhance your dinner table!

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 12:05 am

It really is! If you enjoy Indian food…you have to try this recipe! :)

Holly — January 2, 2011 @ 12:41 am

Mmmm I think I’m going to try this tonight :)

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

Let me know how it turns out! I hope you enjoy it! :)

Betty — January 2, 2011 @ 7:47 am

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year! I am for sure going to make this! I love Indian food so much!!

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

Thank you so much!! Let me know how it turns out! :)

11. Pingback: New York Style Cheesecake | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

netflixandnutella — January 2, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

ive always wanted a good tikka masala recipe! in new york there are so many great indian restaurants but ive never made it myself. now ill have to!

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 9:59 pm

This one is great! You should definitely give it a try! :)

jennynoowyn — January 3, 2011 @ 5:18 am

yum! I blogged a similar recipe not long ago…but you have reminded me of how yum it was so gonna make it again this week! :)

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

Don’t you just love chicken tikka? Yummy!! :)

Jill — January 3, 2011 @ 6:32 am

Happy Birthday and a great New Year. What a lovely way to start off the year. This is one of my all time favs, too – so much that I even made a curried tikka macaron out of it!
    Love your photos.

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

Thank you! I cannot think of a better way to welcome the new year. I will have to check out the curried tikka macaron, I bet I would love it!! :)

fooddreamer — January 3, 2011 @ 7:22 am

It looks fantastic and I am pretty sure I already saved it on foodgawker, but I am bookmarking it now just in case I didn’t!

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

Let me know how it turns out! :)

Sortachef — January 3, 2011 @ 11:13 am

Mmm. I like it. This is my son’s favorite meal whenever we’re in England. In fact, this is the number one restaurant meal in all of England, and your recipe looks like a real winner!
    Oh, and Happy Birthday!

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

Thanks so much! My husband and I traveled to London two years ago and I was surprised to see how many places serve this dish. I guess it is one of the most popular dishes in British restaurants.

Christina — January 3, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Oooo! This looks tasty! I’m just (finally) discovering to appreciate the beauty that is Indian food and this sounds divine! Happy belated birthday and thank you for sharing this recipe!

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

Thank you so much! I love all types of Indian food. My husband got me hooked on it after he traveled to India and spent two months over there. He brought back a bunch of traditional Indian spices and some great recipe ideas.

Mark — January 3, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

That masala is amazing. It’s making my mouth water. Thanks.

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

It is super delicious!!

shannon — January 4, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

I always order the Chicken Tikka Masala from the Indian place that we eat at!! Love it!!Congrats on making Foodbuzz Top 9…well deserved!!

• Christina replied: — January 4th, 2011 @ 11:22 pm

Thank you so much! It is my favorite Indian dish too! :)

Honey — January 7, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

Wow… I’m of Indian Origin and I can attest that this looks amazing! Wow. Even I haven’t attempted Chicken Tikka Masala – really good work. You are quite daring I must say. :-)

Happy New Year!

• Christina replied: — January 7th, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

I love this recipe…my favorite recipe I have found. You should give it a try, it’s great! :)

21. Pingback: Pad Thai with Chicken | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Celeste Smith — February 22, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

I just tried this recipe, but added a bit of cardamon and ended up being all out of paprika :/ I also used the 8 oz tomato sauce + a tin of crushed tomatoes (I wanted extra sauce:) ). After leaving the chicken to marinate over night…it is delicious! Tastes just like my favorite Indian restaurant in town. Thank you for posting!

• Christina replied: — February 22nd, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

Thank you so much for letting me know how it turned out for you! I am so glad that you enjoyed it!:) This is my favorite indian dish and it is so nice that I can make it in my own home! :)

rx4foodies — February 26, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

I just tried this recipe out the other day and fell madly in love with it! This has got to be my new favorite chicken tikka masala recipe. Yum. Thanks for sharing!

• Christina replied: — February 27th, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

This is my favorite recipe ever!! I am so happy that you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for letting me know what you thought of this recipe, I love hearing it! Mmmm…I wish I had some right now! :)

anjelina — February 27, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Looks amazing and enticing.

Jordan — May 22, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

Just made this for dinner and it came out great!!! Thanks for the recipe, I am going through a huge Indian food phase. I also made the naan bread. SUPER!! :o)

• Christina replied: — May 24th, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

I am so glad that you enjoyed it! I am a huge Indian food fan and this is one of my favorite recipes ever. Mmmm…now I am craving some! ;) Thanks so much for commenting and letting me know how it turned out for you!

26. Pingback: Feliz Dia Padre! | goodlovinoutside

27. Pingback: Seven Links | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Alicia H. — September 1, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

Christina!

I have tried SO many recipes from your blog in the last 6 months. Last night it was Pad Thai. YUMMY! I really want to try this recipe but I can’t find the tikka masala anywhere. Please help!

• Christina replied: — September 3rd, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Hey Alicia! Hope everything is going well at 107 this year! I miss seeing everyone! I will have to stop by when we drive through on our way to cbus for the holidays. I am so glad that you have tried so many recipes-the pad thai is definitely one of my favorites. :) For the chicken tikka masala, I am assuming that you can’t find the garam masala, right? I have always bough mine at Penzey’s Spices on 82nd. Let me know how it turns out for you! :)

29. Pingback: The Curse of the Picky Eater « eatwritelive

30. Pingback: Indian Samosas | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Stacie — December 4, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

I made this twice and I can’t begin to tell you how delicious this recipe turned out! This is absolutely identical to my favorite Indian restaurant’s recipe. The first time I made it exactly as written, the second time I eliminated the salt because the first time it was way too salty for us. We also made your coconut rice and piled the chicken high on top, it was a fantastic meal! Thanks so so much!

• Christina replied: — December 22nd, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

Stacie,
      Thank you so much for letting me know how the chicken tikka turned out! This is my absolute favorite recipe, I am so glad that you enjoyed it as well! :)

32. Pingback: Sauerkraut Soup | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

33. Pingback: » chicken tikka masala Table for Two | Julie Chiou

34. Pingback: Gulab Jamun | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Your Cookery Book — August 16, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

Looks so yummy and I am sure tastes yummy too.