Spanish rice, Mexican rice, whatever you call it, I call it delicious! This Spanish rice is the perfect side dish for Salsa Chicken, Chicken Fajitas, Chipotle Bean Burritos or your favorite Mexican dish. This colorful rice dish is sautéed with onion, green bell pepper and garlic and then simmered with chicken broth, diced tomatoes and spices. This rice tastes very similar to the one served at my favorite local Mexican restaurant. Now if I could serve a margarita like the ones they make, I am certain I will save a load of money each year!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender; remove from skillet and set aside. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to skillet and swirl to coat. Add rice and saute until brown.
- Add the onion mixture back to the skillet and stir in water and tomatoes. Season with chili powder, cumin and salt. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed
Source: adapted from allrecipes.com