Homemade Oreos

Homemade Oreos are something that I have been wanting to make for a long time now! I absolutely love Oreo Cookies! These little sandwich cookies bring back great memories of when I was younger of dunking them into a giant glass of milk and devouring them. Wait! Who am I kidding? I still like to do that! ;) Not only are Oreos excellent on their own, they are a part of countless desserts. Oreo cheesecake, Oreo truffles, Oreo cupcakes, the list goes on and on! My favorite Oreo dessert is cookies and cream ice cream! So when I stumbled upon this recipe I was very excited to give them a try. These taste just like the store bought ones, only ten times better! Two chocolate cookies with a luscious cream filling in between that just begs to be dunked in a glass of cold milk. Just one dunk in a glass of milk was all I needed…these cookies are delicious!

Homemade Oreos

For the Chocolate Wafers:

• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg

For the Filling:

• 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Preheat to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. With the mixer running on low speed add the butter and then the egg. Mix until dough comes together in a mass.
  3. Drop by rounded teaspoons on a prepared baking sheet, two inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating half way through.  Cool on baking sheet 3 minutes then transfer to racks and cool completely.
  4. To make the cream filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and shortening on low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.
  5. To assemble the cookies, Shape cream filling into balls using a a heaping teaspoon. Place cream filling ball into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.

Source: Smitten Kitchen

38 Responses to “Homemade Oreos”

Nina — February 2, 2011 @ 9:11 am

This is oreo heaven! Beautiful job with these…and I love the red filling!

KeepItSweet — February 2, 2011 @ 9:58 am

I made her oreos a few years ago and loved them. Your pretty colors look fantastic!

Tes — February 2, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Wow this looks so amazing! The red filling looks so gorgeous! I’m gonna try this :)

jm — February 2, 2011 @ 11:33 am

the red filling is so vibrant and totally catches the eye. I think this is a great treat to make at home :)

Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie — February 2, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

I’ve been wanting to make homemade Oreo cookies as well. I was pouting the other night, as I perused my cookbooks, telling my husband how unfair it is that there are so many yummy things to make, but such little time?! :-p I want to cook anything and everything under the sun!

Heavenly Housewife — February 2, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

These look awesome! I love oreos, I really want to try making these delicious cookies!
    *kisses* HH

Lucie — February 2, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

The red filling is cute! I’ve been wanting to make homemade Oreos for a while–looking forward to making these!

jenna laughs — February 2, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

Christina, I’m away from your blog for like 3 days and I come back to red velvet cheesecake brownies, whoopie pies, banana cake… out of control. That’s it, I’m subscribing ;)

The Food Hound — February 2, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

I love Oreos, but I feel like I have to eat them in secret because they’re processed crap! Oh, but they are delicious processed crap :) Now I can enjoy them out in the open and say I made them! Yay!

Sandra — February 2, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

They are ready to be dunked!

Deborah Dowd — February 2, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

Christina, I tried you email but got a message it could not be found- You were randomly selected from commenters at Play with Food for free Sargento Cheese!! Email me your address and free cheese will be coming your way!!

Mary — February 3, 2011 @ 1:09 am

These really sound so good. I’d love to have two or three of them with my afternoon coffee. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings…Mary

Heather I. — February 3, 2011 @ 1:40 am

Oreos are my husband’s favorite store-bought cookie, and I’m sure he’s love these 10 times over. Maybe I should whip them up for Valentines Day…? Yours are adorable!

Beth — February 3, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Your cookies are gorgeous, and they look way better than Oreos! (I’m not a fan, but I’d make these!)

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — February 3, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Those are too, too cute. I’m bookmarking this!

Sara — February 3, 2011 @ 11:04 am

I’m actually not a fan of store-bought Oreos but I think I could make an exception here! These look fabulous!

ezsrecipes — February 4, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Yum, these look delicious! I’ve always loved Oreos as well! It never occurred to me to make homemade ones!

Livin' in the Kitchen — February 4, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

Oh gosh, these look amazing!! Seriously I want to eat these so bad right now. Plus they’re adorable.
    I love things that taste like the store but better! Makes me smile :D
    Jess : )

Barbara Bakes — February 4, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

How great to be able to make Oreos at home. Love the red filling. Who doesn’t love an O R E O.

thoma — February 5, 2011 @ 12:54 am

you’re making me flag every single recipe of yours! these look great. let me look up the recipe…

can you send me your email id. i tried contacting you on the one given on the navtab but it said page not found. has it changed?

• Christina replied: — February 5th, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Hmmm…no, my email listed on my about page is still the same. Here it is again: sweetpeaskit@gmail.com

Patty — February 6, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

Those look amazing! So much better than store-bought. Love the red variation too – kind of like red velvet oreos… :)

grammikraker — February 7, 2011 @ 3:28 am

These homemade OREO’s are so nice, our daughter & son-inlaws anniversary is the 14th (as so many others are), so these w/ the red middle would be a nice thing to give them & being homemade is the best part, what a fun idea…thanks SweetPea

Amanda @ bakingwithoutabox — February 9, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

Love. These. So perfect with their little red filling. My favorite color. Matches my hair and my car. Whatever food coloring worries be damned. I would devour these.

24. Pingback: Malted Milk Sandwich Cookies | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

25. Pingback: Oreo Cheesecake Brownies | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Ashley Harper — June 5, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

I love oreos im a cookie monster yummy

Kylie Gilbert — August 11, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

I just made these. They’re so easy to make, and pretty quick! The frosting is a little sweet, so I didn’t load it on, and they turned out perfectly. Thank you! :) I’m definitely making these again.

• Christina replied: — August 20th, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

Kylie,
      Thank you so much for letting me know how the Oreo’s turned out for you! I am so glad that you enjoyed them! :D

Courtenay — October 6, 2011 @ 8:50 am

Made these for my kids last night – and put them in their lunches today. They were absolutely delicious and there was almost a riot over them at my daughter’s lunch table – I think I’ll need to send more with her next time:)

• Christina replied: — October 9th, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

Hahaha..I love to hear it! I am so glad that you and your daughter enjoyed the oreo’s! Thanks so much for letting me know how they turned out for you! :)

Sarah — October 30, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

Is there any way to substitute for vegetable shortening? I want to make these for my girlfriend who can’t have oreos, but she can’t have shortening either. Allergies are so frustrating to work around!

• Christina replied: — November 1st, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

Sarah,
      I totally agree, allergies are so frustrating to work around. You can substitute the same amount of butter for the shortening. I hope you enjoy them! Let me know how they turn out for you! :)

Winter Fallen — January 2, 2012 @ 6:16 pm

That looks just fabulous. I have made these for a really long time and all the family members just love them. Their even better with hot chocolate on a cold day. :-)

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2012 @ 8:53 am

I am so glad that your family enjoys them! I bet they would be great with a cup of hot chocolate…maybe I need to get into the kitchen a make a batch just to find out! ;)

31. Pingback: Baked Coconut Chicken Fingers | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Sarah — September 30, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

I am excited to make these with flavored filling for different holidays!

Elaine — December 17, 2012 @ 4:28 am

Just made some for my Christmas goodies bags, they came out great!