Baked Bars

Baked Bars with a coconut graham cracker crust topped with walnuts, two types of chocolate and butterscotch chips. Just one small square of these rich bars are sure to satisfy any dessert craving. Quick and easy to prepare and oh so good! I really had a hard time trying to stay away from these bars, they are very addicting! :)

Baked Bars

For the Crust:

• 2 cup (about 6 oz) sweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs (about 20 crackers)
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, melted

For the Filling:

• 1 1/3 cup walnut halves, toasted and chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup (9 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup white chocolate coarsely chopped
  • 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
  • 3 1/4 cup (26 oz) sweetened condensed milk

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.  Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch glass or light-colored metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
  2. Spread coconut on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in preheated oven. Toast the coconut until it starts to turn golden brown, 7-10 minutes. Remove from the oven, toss, and return it to the oven for 3 more minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and toasted coconut. Add the melted butter. Combine the mixture, then turn it out into the prepared pan. Using your hands, press the crust into an even layer on the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to create a perfectly even crust.
  4. Refrigerate the crust for 15 minutes, then bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let the crust cool completely.
  5. To make the filling, increase the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Evenly spread the walnuts onto the bottom of the crust. Spread the chocolate chips over the walnuts, followed by the white chocolate, followed by the butterscotch chips.
  6. In a steady stream, pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the filling. Shake the pan very gently to make sure the sweetened condensed milk is evenly distributed.
  7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, rotating the pan every 10 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Cut into squares and serve.

Yields: 24 bars

Source: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking

21 Responses to “Baked Bars”

Pudding Pie Lane — May 20, 2011 @ 9:30 am

Oh my gosh, I want these so bad. I love coconut and how you’ve put them with the graham cracker :)

happywhennothungry — May 20, 2011 @ 9:40 am

These look delicious! These are like 7 layer bars. Yum!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — May 20, 2011 @ 10:50 am

I love that these use graham cracker crumbs. They are so good and have such great texture. I can see why they’d be addictive!

Lena — May 20, 2011 @ 11:07 am

oh gosh, another tempting one..dont think i’ll be able to get butterscotch chips over here. btw, i’ve made your peanut butter truffle brownies 2 days ago and everybody loves that! will let you have a look once the post is up! have a great weekend!

Jennifer — May 20, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Reminds me a lot of 7 layer bars, as one of the other commenters mentioned and that’s never a bad thing!! ; ) They look lovely and I can imagine just how good they taste!!

(what runs) Lori — May 20, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Excuse me if this sounds lame but I just spent the last 10 minutes browsing through old posts of yours… OMG you know your way around a kitchen. You food is outstanding and the recipes look AMAZING. Can I come live with you?! I’ll be your taste-tester… ;)

But seriously, wow. I’m loving all of your creations! I’d be in so much trouble if I made all of these… I’d eat every single one (and they wouldn’t look half as pretty). :)

Jenny — May 20, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

Wow those look incredible. You are one amazing baker, I’d love to be as good as you one day ;)

Caroline — May 20, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

I love butterscotch! These bars look so simple and delicious. :)

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos — May 20, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

mmmm this look perfect with a cup of freshly brewed starbucks coffee :).

kankana — May 20, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

These bars looks so sinfully tasty. Two type of chocolate chips .. coconut crackers!!! Great creation :)

Rach @ This Italian Family — May 20, 2011 @ 10:57 pm

Oh, that looks fabulous!

tia @ buttercreambarbie — May 21, 2011 @ 5:31 am

with all those chips i bet they were amazing

Sara — May 21, 2011 @ 11:58 am

These are like 7 layer bars. I absolutely loved these as a kid – they were so rich.

Curry and Comfort — May 23, 2011 @ 6:21 am

I know these taste amazing because of the ingredients. I love these kind of layered bars. They are so decadent and delicious! Congrats on being Top 9!

These look amazingly delicious! The combination of ingredients is making my mouth water. :) These are on my baking to-do list now!

Erin — May 23, 2011 @ 10:39 am

I don’t think I could only have one to satisfy my dessert craving!

alyce — May 23, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

These look really good.

KitchenGeisha — May 24, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Seven Layer Magic Bars! One of my all time favourites! Yours look better than mine, thank you for that, lol!

Chelsea — May 31, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

I would have to make these and then get them farrrrr away from me! I am a sucker for bars like this! Great recipe!

alix — January 26, 2012 @ 9:52 am

I don’t have butterscotch chips , would peanut butter chips work instead?

• Christina replied: — February 9th, 2012 @ 7:41 am

You can substitute the butterscotch chips for peanut butter chips. I bet they would taste great! If you give them a try I would love to know how they turn out for you! :)