Coconut Sandwich Cookies

Coconut cookies with a creamy vanilla buttercream filling sandwiched in between. This delicious cookie recipe is getting me ready for summer like no other. After last week being sunny and 84 degrees to this past weekend rainy and low 50′s, I am ready for the warm weather. Bring it on!

Coconut Sandwich Cookies

For the Cookies:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 (7 oz) package sweetened shredded coconut (about 2 1/4 cups), divided
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the Creamy Vanilla Filling:

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room-temperature
  • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
  3. Place 1/2 cup coconut into a small bowl; set aside. Place remaining coconut in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade; pulse until coarsely ground. Set aside.
  4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter with sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce mixer to low and gradually add flour mixture and ground coconut; mix just until combined.
  5. Drop dough by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
  6. To make the filling, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down bowl as needed. Add vanilla extract and increase speed to high. Beat until filling is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to sealable bag and snip off a corner.
  7. Pipe filling on flat side of 1 cookie. Top with second cookie, forming a sandwich. Repeat with remaining filling and cookies. Roll edges in reserved coconut, and chill until ready to serve. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Yields: 2 ½ dozen

Source: Erin Cooks, originally from Martha Stewart

16 Responses to “Coconut Sandwich Cookies”

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — May 16, 2011 @ 10:59 am

These look so summery! I love coconut in cookies.

Caroline — May 16, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

Gorgeous cookies, as usual! I don’t even like coconut and they look fantastic. I’m definitely ready for summer as well–what is up with this cold, gloomy weather in May!?

Jenny — May 16, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

I think I want to make these for a coworkers birthday! YUM! One question though, are the cookies crunchy or soft?

• Christina replied: — May 18th, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Jenny, they are not crunchy but a soft coconut cookie and super yummy! Let me know how they turn out for you! :D

• Jenny replied: — May 22nd, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

Thank you! I’ll be making them Wednesday, very excited!!

• Jenny replied: — May 25th, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

These were soo yummy! I brought them to work yesterday and they were a hit! Even the people who said they hate coconut loved them <3 Mine weren't as round as yours, they flattened out a bit and I should have doubled the filling. I had about 8 cookies left without frosting but they ate them just the same!

Michelle — May 16, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

These look great. I love coconut in just about anything!

happywhennothungry — May 16, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Wow these cookies look beautiful! I just made a coconut cake this past weekend, so will def have to try these cookies. Yum!

gonnawantseconds — May 16, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

I tried making these for the first time this year and they are ah-mazzzzing! Love your photos :)

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — May 16, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

Hmm, they look like they’d be hard to eat, being all tall and pillowy and all. Which just makes me want to shove about six into my mouth! Seriously delicious looking!

charlie girl — May 16, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

Yummy! Gotta love coconut!

Maris (In Good Taste) — May 16, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

These cookies look like they would melt in your mouth!

Sara — May 18, 2011 @ 6:57 am

We’ve also had temperature fluctuations, but I can see these transporting me to a tropical paradise! :)

Sugar Sprinkled — May 18, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Oh Boy! I made these last summer. They were so pretty and taste and texture wise, a HUGE hit! I did add a drop of coconut extract to both the dough and the filling, and substituted two tablespoons of the butter in the filling with one of shortening for a fluffier filling that was a bit more stable. I have had requests but not yet gotten to a repeat performance. I can’t get to all the new things I want to try, let alone make the same recipe again!

KitchenGeisha — May 24, 2011 @ 8:05 am

Coconut is one of my favourite things, unfortunately I have two children who hate it. I may make these and sell the kids. :)

13. Pingback: Honey Oat Quick Bread | Sweet Pea's Kitchen