Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies with Chocolate Ganache

Chocolaty, chewy and utterly decadent Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies topped with a rich chocolate ganache. Need I say more? ;) Subtly spiced with cinnamon and cayenne pepper these brownies are a little kick for your taste buds. I have been wanting to make a Mexican hot chocolate dessert for a while now and figured with Cinco de Mayo being tomorrow, this would be the perfect time. If you are planning on throwing your own fiesta tomorrow, whip up a batch of these brownies-you won’t be disappointed! :)

Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies with Chocolate Ganache

For the Brownies:

• 1 1/4 cup cake flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 oz unsweetened chocolate
  • 12 tablespoons butter, cubed
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla

For the Ganache:

• 6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/3 cup whole milk

1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 13×9 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, salt, baking powder, cayenne, and cinnamon; Set aside.
  3. Place chocolate and butter in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Microwave for 1 minute and stir. Continue to microwave in 30 second increments until chocolate has completely melted. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add sugar and mix on medium-high until combined. Reduce mixer to low speed and add 1 egg at a time and mix completely. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
  4. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
  5. While brownies are cooling, heat semisweet chocolate and milk in the microwave for 30 seconds then stir. Continue to microwave in 15 second increments until smooth. Pour over brownies. Let  chocolate gancahe set up completely before cutting.

Source: Confections of a Foodie Bride originally adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Classic Brownie

22 Responses to “Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies with Chocolate Ganache”

briarrose — May 4, 2011 @ 10:08 am

Oooo….a dose of spice with my dessert….my taste buds would love it.

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — May 4, 2011 @ 10:19 am

Fantastic looking recipe. That ganache!

cantstopbaking — May 4, 2011 @ 10:33 am

I have to tell you that I love every single one of your recipes! I know if I might something from your blog it will be amazing. I made the honey corn muffins this week, and they were gone in a day. And thats saying something- my kids are highly critical of muffins :)

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — May 4, 2011 @ 10:39 am

These look delicious! I love the idea of a spicy, cinnamony brownie.

KitchenGeisha — May 4, 2011 @ 11:09 am

You had me at chocolate!

I’ve been wanting something simple to make that looked and tasted decadent, and I think this fits the bill.

As always, I stand in sincere awe of you and your baking skills!

thesavvystudent — May 4, 2011 @ 11:10 am

These are beautiful – what’s better than a brownie with chocolate ganache! And I really like the spicy addition to this recipe.

Anita Menon — May 4, 2011 @ 11:33 am

Every single day you make desserts? I am almost scared to bake because I know Iwould eat the biggest chunk of it and you know the rule about once onthe lips, forever on… yes and all that.

But these brownies look to die-for. I have to whip up a batch of these for sure.

Jenny — May 4, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

Omg these brownies look amazing, that ganache looks incredible

bluemixer — May 4, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

I loooooove mexican hot chocolate, and I love brownies. These look awesome.

Shawnda — May 4, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

Glad you liked the brownies! They look great!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 4, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

These sound fantastic!

Michelle — May 4, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

These look so decadent. Perfect for Cinco de Mayo!

happywhennothungry — May 4, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

Wow these brownies look fantastic! I really want to try to make these. Love that ganache on top too!

muppy — May 4, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

These look amazing, as soon as i read the title i was sold!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos — May 4, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

oh my, u never disappoint. this is perfect for cinco de mayo festivities!

Honey @ Honey, WHat's Cooking — May 5, 2011 @ 12:48 am

ooooh… these look delicious! What a great way to celebrate cinco de mayo! :-)

KitchenGeisha — May 5, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

I made this today, and blogged them on my blog. I linked back to here and gave you full credit. They are very tasty, but OMG are our mouths on fire! :)

beccacit — May 5, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

I can hardly wait to stop typing this comment so that I can run into the kitchen and bake up a batch! I adore fudgy brownies, and when they’ve got a kick to ‘em, I am SURE my mouth will say OLE!

19. Pingback: Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

20. Pingback: Churros con Chocolate | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Hazel — May 16, 2012 @ 12:48 am

I made these because I love Mexican hot chocolate. The taste was really interesting to me, especially since I’m so used to ordinary brownies, but over time, I found that I really liked the taste of them. So thanks for sharing so interesting a recipe. :)

Mercedes — July 8, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

These look wonderful! I love chocolate with a little spice and I am looking for a dessert for a Mexican-themed party next weekend and these look like my answer!