Grand Cayman & No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars

Yesterday we arrived on the third leg of our June trip. After traveling from Miami to Key West to Cape Cod, we are now enjoying eight days of laying on the beach, scuba diving and great food in Grand Cayman. I love this place! Three years ago Andrew and I were married in the Cayman Islands on Seven Mile Beach. With twenty-three good friends and family we celebrated for a full week filled with scuba diving, great food, and fun! We were married at sunset on Seven Mile Beach at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites.

I walked down the aisle to the sound of a steel drum band. We read our handwritten vows to one another as I struggled to remember them thru my tears.

The wedding ceremony was incredible and we couldn’t have asked for a better setting.

After the reception we had cocktails and dinner at the beachside restaurant Hemingways.  The wedding cake was a rum cake with coconut cream filling and a luscious buttercream frosting.

Last night we celebrated our third wedding anniversary at the Grand Old House, a 103 year old plantation house right on the water’s edge over looking the Caribbean Sea. The views from the veranda are absolutely breathtaking. Three years ago we had our rehearsal dinner at the Grand Old House, so when we were thinking of where to have our anniversary dinner there was no question. Andrew ordered the Cayman Turtle Steak Scaloppini with fried avocado rice and a spicy pepper sauce. I ordered the daily fish special of blackened Mahi Mahi, jumbo crab cake and a grilled jumbo shrimp. The food was incredible and the view was just stunning.

Now onto a wonderful and super quick recipe for a crowd pleasing dessert. These No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars are a twist on the classic rice krispies treats. Made with Oreo Cookies instead of Rice Krispies! :)

No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars

These No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars are a twist on the classic rice krispies treats. Made with Oreo Cookies instead of Rice Krispies!

Yield: 16 bars

Ingredients:

One 16 oz package of Oreo Cookies
5 cups large marshmallows
4 tablespoons butter

Butter an 8X8 inch baking pan. Line the baking pan with parchment paper letting the paper extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Butter paper; set pan aside.
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process Oreos into fine crumbs; set aside.
In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in ground Oreo Cookies until combined. Transfer to prepared baking pan. Using a piece of wax paper, press mixture evenly into prepared pan. Cool. Cut into squares. Best if served the same day.

Have you ever been to Grand Cayman? Did you enjoy it? Do you have any recommendations on what to see and do? How about a few no-miss restaurants? I’d love to hear them! :)

95 Responses to “Grand Cayman & No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars”

Michelle — March 4, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

I think that these would be GREAT as a stocking stuffer (lump of coal) for Christmas! I can’t wait to try them out.

2. Pingback: Favorite Food Friday—via Pinterest ! | Secondhandmom.com - Sharing ideas on thrifting, organizing, decorating, crafting and cooking on a budget

3. Pingback: Happy 100th Birthday Oreo!!! (25 Mouth Watering Oreo Recipes)

Theresa — May 11, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

Found some gluten free “oreo type” cookies. Can’t wait to make this for my daughter! I will of course, have to sample them too! :-)

5. Pingback: Oh, How Pinteresting – Pins I’ve Actually Done | Uberly Ecstatic

Cindy Carter — June 11, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

Hi Christina,
    Next time you are ‘on island’ take a trip over to the east end…collier bay. We stay at Morritts Grand every year….GREAT diving options along north and east walls. If you get over to the east end, try TUKKA…used to be Portifino, which was terrific, but Tukka has surpassed that experiance. Another local fave is Over the Edge on the way to Rum Point…..very reasonable prices and you may see your dive captains there! Rum Point is not to be missed either. If you are hooked on 7 mile beach, but like more solitude….rent a car and spend the day on the other side!

Patty Smith — June 13, 2012 @ 6:58 am

We have been to Grand Caymen several times and seven mile beach is gorgeous. One of our favorite things to do is to go to stingray city with Moby Dick tours. Their staff is so great. And the reef they take you to snorkeling is so beautiful. We enjoy going to Margarittaville of course but Rack Ems is a great treat with reasonable prices and a great view.

Tori — June 13, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

the bars are delicious! only thing i would suggest is making them on the stove instead of in the microwave. my experience was that the marshmallows cooled down too quickly and it was really difficult to mix in the oreos. next time i will try mixing them on the stovetop.

9. Pingback: German Chocolate Brownies for Our 4th Wedding Anniversary | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

10. Pingback: Blueberry Lemonade | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Becky — June 16, 2012 @ 2:12 am

Cinfratulations and Happy Anniversary! I have been going to Grand Cayman for 28 years. It is such a great island and I always feel “home” when I get there. The pistachio crusted sea bass at the Wharf is to die for! Also, if you like lobster- Deckers does an all you can eat lobster that hubby always takes advantage of. The Lighthouse is a bit of a drive, but the food is excellent. IMO- you can’t go wrong on a snorkel trip with Captain Clinton. He is wonderful! Pedro’s Castle is fun and very interesting. Have a great time! Seeing your pictures makes me so excited to be going back in Dec. Enjoy!

Athina — June 30, 2012 @ 10:44 am

Just thought I’d mention that I saw the recipe for the Oreo bake on Pinterest, made it, and my friends and I LOVE them! They’re so good, thank you!

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies — July 7, 2012 @ 7:05 am

I just saw these via Pinterest, clicked over, and was so happy to see your beautiful wedding photos! I can’t wait to make this recipe.

14. Pingback: Project Pinterest – No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars « bakinginmybathingsuit

Balvinder — July 28, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

Congrats on three years of happy married life and many more to come. I haven’t seen such no bake bars before.

Mary — August 4, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

Those of you who have been to Grand Cayman recently — is the Cool Spot still open? It’s a down home spot where I first ate goat(curried and amazingly good). Very rustic, very Caymanian!

Shelby — August 9, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

I stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest and anfter a couple months, I’m finally making them! However, ironically, I did not know anything about Cayman being in this post when I pinned it, but I am Caymanian! I grew up on Grand Cayman, went so school there, and never stopped loving it as my home! I always love to hear how much other people love it there! Thank you very much!

• Christina replied: — August 11th, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

Grand Cayman is my favorite place to visit! The scuba diving there is amazing and so are the beaches…wish I was there right now! :)

barbara miller — August 15, 2012 @ 1:59 pm

made these today, 8/15/12, used berry oreos (chocolate cookie and pink berry flavor creme) and strawberry marshmallows. wow it’s good. I melted my butter and marshmallow on top of the stove. I’m gonna try PB Oreo and sub the butter with PB and plain marshmallow. Mint oreo and plain marshmallow. Vanilla oreo and those orange circus peanut candies (they are marshmallows.)

• Christina replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

Yea! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed them! I bet they were delicious with the berry oreos and strawberry marshmallows! :)

19. Pingback: Coal for Christmas!

20. Pingback: No Bake Cookies and Cream Bars | Anny's Blog

Caroline — September 27, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

These look delicious! I showed my daughter and she can’t wait to try! Now I am wondering, are these hard? Or soft? I have a child with braces so it could be difficult for her to eat. If you could just tell me something with the same softness that’d be great!

• Christina replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 10:58 pm

Caroline,
      These bars are kind of like a rice krispy treat. They are basically the same recipe except that you are using Oreos instead of rice krispies. If you give them a try I would love to hear how they turn out for you!

BritRo — October 5, 2012 @ 5:22 am

I made these multiple times and they are TO DIE FOR!
    I love the texture of them, soft and spongy and just over all DELICIOUS!
    You HAVE to make these with Oreos, not those store brand “Oreos” cause they will become too sweet IMO.

I think they taste better when they sit, but mine don’t always make it to the next day.
    lol!

Casey — December 19, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

Just made these for a party I’m having this weekend (I admit, I totally devoured the leftovers on the spoon once I was done stirring. MMMMmmmm!! Deelish!) and I’ve already shared this link with a few friends. I just cannot get over how EASY this is!! Quick question if you, Christina, or anyone knows. How do I store these? My party is in two days, should I keep it at room temp? Or keep in fridge? Thanks!! ~ Casey

Alyson — January 4, 2013 @ 6:35 pm

Kind of looks like lumps of coal. fun idea for the kids stockings for christmas

Tayler — February 13, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

I made these at Christmas time & they were everyone’s favorite! My boyfriend’s parents wanted the recipe. They ended up making them for a New Years party. They don’t last long at my house. Thanks for the recipe! I’ve decided to make them today for Valentines Day :)

• Christina replied: — February 19th, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

Yay! I am so happy to hear that everyone enjoyed these bars! Thanks so much for letting me know how they turned out for you! :D

Carlos Gomez — March 3, 2013 @ 9:54 am

Hey just wanted to let you know i made these last night and they my friends said they were great! Thanks for unique recipe, I haven’t seen anything this unique and easy around the web.

27. Pingback: Sweet Pea's Kitchen » Flax Seed Dog Biscuits

The Cocktail Lady — July 8, 2013 @ 9:33 pm

Your photos are great!! These no-bake cookies and cream bars look absolutely delicious!! I will definitely be trying these! Cheers!

Summer — July 21, 2013 @ 9:41 am

I live in Grand Cayman! I’ve been here 11 years and still can’t get over the beauty!
    Places you must go are: Calypso Grill (for the Sticky Toffee Pudding), Eduardo’s (great Italian), Eats/Legendz for very affordable breakfast lunch and dinner, Canana Bay (fountains to play in for the kids and lots of great restaurants), and of course Sting Ray City sand bar to play with the sting rays!
    Hope you enjoyed your time hear and come back soon! Drop me a line and I’ll give you some more tips!
    Btw – these bars are awesome!

Rebecca from the Fieldhouse Kitchen — August 14, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Wow, what a fantastic idea! Also, your wedding looked gorgeous, absolutely stunning. Looking forward to making these little Oreo bars… Yum!