Just the Beginning…

For the next few weeks I am going to be posting not only delicious food recipes for you I am also going to share with you our adventures this month. For those of you just interested in recipes, don’t worry, my all food posts will be back at the end of the month. But in the meantime, enjoy some of our adventures and of course a few recipes! :D

My husband Andrew and I decided to keep all of our vacation time and put it together for a full month off of work before starting a new job in Peoria, Illinois. Over the past month my husband and I have been packing, cleaning, and eagerly waiting for the month of June to arrive. This busy month is packed full of fun and life changing events.  Our first stop is South Beach Miami where we are spending 7 relaxing days on the beach, followed by 3 days in Key West, 4 days in Cape Cod for a wedding, and 10 days in Grand Cayman. Today we are going to cruise down A1A and hang out in Key West for a little while. We are staying at a cute bed and breakfast called the Popular House. A few years ago I went to Key West with my parents and we had so much fun. It has such a Caribbean feel. I am very excited to take my husband down to Key West with me, I am sure he will love it.

We have spent the past couple of days in South Beach walking the beach, strolling the boardwalk, people watching on Lincoln Road and feeling like I am on the set of Miami Vice in the Art Deco District.

Last night we walked down to the Art Deco district and had dinner at one of the restaurants along the strip. After walking past all the pastel building and bright neon lights we decided to grab a drink and people watch at the Fox Café. After a few drinks we ended up having dinner there too. The grilled mahi mahi and tuna were amazing. :)

Here is a picture of me enjoying one of the fruity drinks on South Beach. Sorry that the picture is so bad, I took it with my iPhone!

We are getting ready to cruise down 126 miles and over 42 bridges to Key West to spend 3 nights. Have any of you ever been to Key West? Are there some don’t miss hot spots or restaurants? Please let me know! :)

18 Responses to “Just the Beginning…”

Bonnie — June 3, 2011 @ 9:39 am

we will in Key West on a motorcycle trip a few years ago, and had a blast at the Green Parrot! The Green Parrot Bar 601 Whitehead St.

Janie Poston — June 3, 2011 @ 9:40 am

I really enjoyed reading about your vacation experience. It sounds like the trip of a lifetime and one I would like to take myself. My husband and I are from Pensacola (transplanted to Texas in 1989), and we love the beach and miss our home town so much. There is nothing quite like the white sand beaches we have in Florida and the A1A drive is incredible! I want you to know how much I LOVE the recipes you post. I have saved almost every single one. Looking forward to many more. Oh, and being a southern girl, I find the name you chose for yourself so perfect. Sweet Pea is awesome! Have a wonderful time on your trip and thanks so much for sharing!
    Janie Poston

Julie — June 3, 2011 @ 9:44 am

Have a great time, wish i had a month put together for a vacation ,we are doing a week in fla for my daughters graduation with friends. I really enjoy your recipies, thanks

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — June 3, 2011 @ 10:02 am

What a great idea! Enjoy your time off. I’m looking forward to seeing more picture of your adventures.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 3, 2011 @ 10:09 am

That sounds so exciting, enjoy that time with your husband! Can’t wait to hear more:-)

Monica K. — June 3, 2011 @ 11:23 am

This sounds like an amazing trip, I’m so jealous! As for Key West, def. rent a bike for traveling around the island. It makes things so much easier. Blue Heaven is a really cool place to eat, great food, fun atmosphere. If you can get there for brunch on Sunday, you’ll have to wait a bit, but it will be worth it. El Siboney is a Cuban place I’ve tried with good food and even better Sangria. A bunch of street performers and vendors set up in Mallory Square an hour or two before sunset every night, it’s a lot of fun, and a great place to watch the sun go down.

Sherry — June 3, 2011 @ 11:28 am

We vacation in Cayman! There is nothing like it!! We are going to be there July 7th – 16th. I have emailed you regarding stuff to do while there. Enjoy your trip :-)

Marilyn — June 3, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Everyone needs to go to Key West at least once in their lives. My husband and I went about 3 years ago in March. Had a wonderful time, just hit the resturants on Duval St., can’t recommend any one in particular – alot are tourist type but still great with lots of atmosphere. We stayed in a historic B & B across from the Hemingway house and next to the Lighthouse. Hubbie climbed the lighthouse,. My favorite thing was seeing the chickens walking around free and the sunsets.

Sara — June 3, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Enjoy your vacation! Sounds like tons of fun! :)

Maris (In Good Taste) — June 3, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

I have never been to Key West. The pictures are great! have a wonderful time!

Geet — June 3, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

Hey,

Have a wonderful and safe vacation. Enjoy and keep posting more mouth watering recipe…

Dana@TheSundaySweet — June 3, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

I want a month off from work! Great idea! Enjoy and can’t wait to see some updates.

Michelle — June 3, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

You are going to have so much fun over the next month! It sounds like you have so much planned :-) I’ve never been to Key West so I can’t recommend anything but I’m looking forward to your recaps. Maybe if I make it there some day, I can visit some of the same places you do. Enjoy your vacation!

14. Pingback: Six Toed Cats and Orange Marmalade Muffins | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

15. Pingback: Orange Knots | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Lena — June 21, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

so nice to see your photo up here! i remember months ago you mentioned that your hubby graduated and finally got a new job..so is this the reason you’re moving? 42 bridges? that’s quite a number!!

17. Pingback: Crunchy Peanut Butter Dog Treats | Sweet Pea's Kitchen