Cherry Bon Bon Cookies
Decadent chewy chocolate cookies with a hidden surprise! A fresh juicy cherry is hidden beneath a blanket of chocolate. Just like the beloved chocolate covered cherry-just in cookie form! Each bite of these sweet treats bursts with cherry and chocolate flavor. These Cherry Bon Bon Cookies are especially popular during Christmas, but why not make them with fresh cherries? Fresh cherries are always better than the jarred maraschino cherries if you ask me, however, you can substitute maraschino cherries if fresh are not available. Rich, fudgy chocolate cookies are rolled in sugar, then filled with juicy cherry and blanketed in decadent chocolate. These are destined to become your favorite cookie!
One Year Ago: Zucchini Bread
Cherry Bon Bon Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soft butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar, plus ½ cup for rolling dough
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cherry flavoring
- 48 fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 package (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the flat beater attached, cream the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the egg, vanilla and cherry flavoring; beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Place the ½ cup sugar for rolling in a shallow bowl. Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a 1½-inch ball between palms, roll the ball in the sugar, and then place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, spacing the balls about 2 inches apart. Using your thumb, make indentation in center of each ball. Fill each indentation with a cherry.
- In a small pan over low heat, combine chocolate chips and condensed milk, heat until chocolate is melted. Spoon 1 teaspoon chocolate mixture over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets about 3 minutes; using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yields: 48 cookies
Source: Adapted from Northwest Cherries