Garlic-Potato Soup

Here’s a soup for all those garlic lovers out there! This time of year I crave soup all of the time. There really is nothing more warming and comforting on a chilly fall evening. This hearty soup is made with red potatoes, russet potatoes, leeks and two heads of garlic that simmer together in chicken broth to create a flavorful meal. Thickened by mashed potatoes and flavored with just the perfect amount of garlic, this soup is destined to be a favorite in your home. A slice of garlic bread is the perfect accompaniment for this hearty soup.

One Year Ago: Butterscotch Drops

Garlic-Potato Soup

For the Soup:

• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 medium leek, white and light green parts chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 2 heads garlic, rinsed, papery skins removed and top third of heads cut off and discarded
  • 6 – 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth (start with 6 cups and use extra cup to thin soup, if needed)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 pound Red Bliss potatoes (unpeeled), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
  • Ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh chives

For the Garlic Chips:

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6 medium cloves garlic, sliced thin lengthwise

1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat melt butter. When foaming subsides, add leeks and cook until soft but not browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add garlic heads, broth, bay leaves, and salt; partially cover and bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until garlic is very tender when pierced with tip of knife, 30 to 40 minutes. Add potatoes and continue to simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
  2. Discard bay leaves. Remove garlic heads; using tongs squeeze garlic heads at root end until cloves slip out of their skins. Using fork, mash garlic to smooth paste in bowl; set aside.
  3. Stir cream, thyme, and half of mashed garlic into soup; heat soup until hot, about 2 minutes. Taste soup and add remaining garlic paste to taste. Using an immersion blender, process soup until creamy, with some potato chunks remaining. Alternatively, transfer 1 1/2 cups potatoes and 1 cup broth to blender or food processor and process until smooth. (Process more potatoes for thicker consistency.) Return puree to pot and stir to combine, adjusting consistency with more broth if necessary.
  4. To make garlic chips, heat oil and garlic in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, turning frequently, until light golden brown, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer garlic to plate lined with paper towels; discard oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
  5. Season soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve, sprinkling each portion with chives and garlic chips.

Yields: 6 servings as a main course

Source: Cook’s Illustrated, March 2007

15 Responses to “Garlic-Potato Soup”

ChgoJohn — November 11, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

Garlic-potato soup with garlic bread. You’re killing me here! I must try these recipes. Thanks for passing them along!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — November 11, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

Yummy, yummy, yummy! Garlic, potatoes, bread. Perfect!

Judy — November 11, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

Christina, your photos just keep getting better and better, you do a great job with staging and color. Love the soup too!

addunbar — November 11, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

My family absolutely loves garlic. I see dinner coming from your kitchen to my kitchen to my table. Thanks for such a simple but delicious recipe!

chicaandaluza — November 12, 2011 @ 3:33 am

Me, me…I am a garlic lover! This looks amazing, I will probably make it for dinner tonight!

iamahoneybee — November 12, 2011 @ 9:40 am

I love garlic soup. I was doubtful it would be good when I ordered it but it was nice and mellow. Can’t wait to make it at home.

jennknee — November 12, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

It is soooooo dismal and cold outside. This would be a perfect partnership to the chilly chillyyyy day!! Looks great Christina! :)

Just A Smidgen — November 12, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

Wow, I leave for a few days and look what you’ve whipped up! Delicious! This is one I definitely will try (and I’m not just saying that). I could see this becoming one of my ” go to” weeknight suppers with a crust of bread… Delicious!

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — November 13, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

Drats it’s probably almost 80 here and I still want this!

Michelle — November 14, 2011 @ 11:29 am

I loves me a good potato soup just about any day though I can see myself hunkering down with a mug of this on a cold winter day. Though it may not for cuddling with your sweetie after but would be great for warding off vampires. Mmm. Garlic breath. :)

Bluejellybeans — November 15, 2011 @ 2:54 am

Oh, I am a garlic lover, and this soup looks delicious.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — November 16, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Beautiful soup!!

Lacy — November 16, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

MMM!! Two of my fav things garlic & potatoes! Yes please!

Abby — November 26, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

This soup was amazing, thank you for sharing. Instead of fresh thyme I used dried, and in place of the potatoes specified I used a bag of gourmet potatoes from Costco and pulled out the red ones in place of the Red Bliss potatoes and the yellow-golden ones to replace the russets. I also roasted the garlic in the oven instead of in the broth and added it at a later step. It tasted phenomenal! Thank you.

Stacey — October 27, 2014 @ 2:40 pm

This is the best soup ever! The only thing I do differently is go to my garden, cut 2 large stalks of rosemary and add them as the broth simmers. Excellent paired with homemade focaccia bread!