Thanksgiving Countdown

I can’t believe that Thanksgiving is next Thursday! Where did the month go? I am very excited for Thanksgiving day, you see this is the first year in which Andrew and I will be hosting Thanksgiving dinner. My parents, brother, sister-in-law and nephew are all coming to Peoria to gather around our table on Thanksgiving day and enjoy a delicious feast. Needless to say, since it is my first time hosting Thanksgiving I have been planning the menu for months. ;) If you haven’t already, now is the time to start thinking about what you are going to serve on the big day. With Thanksgiving fast approaching, I wanted to share with you some recipes that would be perfect for your big feast!

Classic Macaroni and Cheese:

This rich and creamy macaroni and cheese is the perfect comfort food!

Spicy Sweet Potatoes:

The spicy and sweet combination make a great addition to any meal.

Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips and Brussels Sprouts:

Potatoes, carrots, parsnips and brussels sprouts are tossed together with dried herbs and roasted to perfection.

Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:

Sweet potatoes are baked, filled with pecans and spices, then stuffed with marshmallows.
Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary and Sea Salt:
Delicious rosemary roasted potatoes with a crunchy skin and creamy interior.

Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes:

Mashed Sweet Potatoes lightly sweetened with maple syrup and brown sugar.

Oven Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts:

Oven Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts are the perfect side dish for any holiday meal. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil, then slow-roasted until a deep golden brown.

Parmesan Roasted Broccoli:

Broccoli is roasted with thinly sliced garlic then tossed with freshly squeezed lemon juice, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, basil, and toasted pine nuts.

Scalloped Potatoes with Three Cheeses:

Scalloped Potatoes smothered with sharp cheddar cheese, blue cheese, and Parmesan cheese-the ultimate side dish for your Thanksgiving table.

Harvest Pumpkin Soup:

Rich and creamy Harvest Pumpkin Soup that is sure to warm you up when the air turns crisp.

Butternut Squash Soup:

Rich and creamy Butternut Squash Soup that it is actually healthy as well!

Spiced Pumpkin Rolls:

Moist, full of fall spices and bursting with delicious pumpkin flavor.

Sweet Potato Rolls with Maple Pecan Butter:

Golden orange Sweet Potato Rolls slathered with Maple Pecan Butter are the perfect choice for your holiday table.
Spiced Pumpkin Buttermilk Biscuits:
These tender, flaky Pumpkin Buttermilk Biscuits are wonderful for an autumn breakfast or even for Thanksgiving dinner!
Pumpkin Pie:
Silky smooth pumpkin pie with a tender, flaky crust.
Apple Pie:
Traditional apple pie with two types of apples and a woven flaky lattice crust.
Southern Pecan Pie:
Rich and sweet pecan pie exploding with toasted pecans and a hint of bourbon.
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! In these days leading up to Thanksgiving I will be posting more recipes you can serve for the big feast. I would love to hear how any of the recipes turn out for you! Drop me a comment and let me know here or you can even upload a picture over on the Facebook Fan Page for Sweet Pea’s Kitchen! :D
One Year Ago: Cranberry Coffee Cake

14 Responses to “Thanksgiving Countdown”

jenn — November 15, 2011 @ 8:41 am

We had our “Thanksgiving”/farewell-to-the-little-sister-joining-the-army dinner two nights ago. My mom is quite the cook/bake and “took it easy this year” We had about 15 different items (including squash soup) as opposed to the normal 20-30. However, it was pretty traditional. I’d love to try some of the fancy breads on your Thanksgiving list! Maybe next year.

Fran@fransfavs.com — November 15, 2011 @ 9:34 am

Christina–absolutely wonderful post! I loved the photo of the Thanksgiving table all set for dinner, so inviting. With your culinary skills, I have no doubt that your first hosting of the traditional Thanksgiving meal will be memorable for you and your guests. I’ve got a great sweet potato pie recipe for you to go along with the apple, pumpkin, and pecan: http://www.fransfavs.com/2011/11/sweet-potato-pie/ Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — November 15, 2011 @ 9:54 am

What a great roundup! I love the roasted Brussels sprouts and the idea of having mac and cheese on the table.

Shanon — November 15, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Hi Christina, do you have a Turkey recipe??

Elisabeth — November 15, 2011 @ 10:12 am

Seriously? Next Thursday!? I had better get busy!!! We just moved cross country so I’ve been a little out of the loop lately. Thankfully a friend is hosting. I might just have to try the garlic roasted brussles sprouts and pumpkin spice rolls!!!

Just A Smidgen — November 15, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

I’m so glad our Thanksgiving is over… not!!! I feel inspired by the selection you have here! Very impressive and I love your photography as well.

ChgoJohn — November 15, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

That is some list of recipes, Christina. Your 1st time hosting Thanksgiving? It will be wonderful, I’m sure. :)

Caroline — November 15, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

Wonderful roundup, Christina. Everything looks amazing! Look how high that apple pie is stacked!

Jen Roque — November 15, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

It all looks amazing. I too can’t believe it is just next Thursday. I am only stocked up on my turkey so far. Oh boy, got lots to do.

Rach @ This Italian Family — November 15, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

Mmmm… I wanna come to your house for Thanksgiving, haha!

The Café Sucré Farine — November 16, 2011 @ 4:09 am

What a wonderful collection of recipes, wow, I don’t know where to start – they are ALL very enticing!

Lauren — November 16, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Thank you for this post — wonderful recipes! I’ll definitely be trying a couple out.

Peggy — November 21, 2011 @ 4:26 am

You’re definitely not short on ideas for Thanksgiving dinner! Hope all goes well without a hitch =)

Erin — November 21, 2011 @ 9:58 am

What a wonderful round up! Wish I were cooking the dinner this year now.