Here are some fun cookies that are baked in a muffin tin and absolutely delicious. I had never heard of a Tallahassee Lassie cookie until a few days ago when I was looking for a holiday cookie to make from Cook’s Illustrated. It was the 2005 Cook’s Illustrated Holiday Cookie Contest winner, so it had to be good. These soft cookies are baked in a muffin tin and topped with chocolate chips, butterscotch filling, and pecans. These cookies would be a great addition to your holiday cookie tins. Try them in a mini muffin pan for a bite-sized treat!
One Year Ago: Snickerdoodles
For the Cookies:
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
For the Butterscotch Filling:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
For the Topping:
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- For the cookies: Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard 12-cup muffin tins with liners.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Remove from heat and whisk in brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, salt and pecans and stir until combined. Scoop 2 tablespoons of mixture into each muffin cup. Bake, rotating tins from front to back and top to bottom halfway through baking, until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, make the filling. Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in milk, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and crumbs and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm until cookies come out of from oven.
- For the topping: Remove cookies from oven and immediately sprinkle tops with chocolate chips. Working quickly, top each cookie with a heaping tablespoon of filling and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 30 minutes. Remove cookies from tins.
Yields: 24 cookies
Source: Cooks Illustrated, February 2005