Strawberry Crumble Bars
Ahhhh….crumble bars. One of my favorite desserts to make when fresh fruit and berries come into season. Nothing says warmer weather is on the way than fresh berries in the grocery store. Strawberries have been so tempting at the grocery store this past week, not to mention super cheap. I am so excited for spring to come, especially since we have had highs in the upper 60′s the past two days. We have been spoiled, but I am just waiting for mother nature to decide to surprise us with a snow storm since we have had next to no snow this winter. We only have about 12 days left until the first day of spring, so even if we have a surprise snow storm at least the warm weather is on its way! These crumble bars are a wonderful way to make it through the next few days of winter. ;) They are best straight out of the refrigerator with some whipped cream on top….reminds me of a portable strawberry shortcake! A thick and buttery bottom layer topped with a sweet strawberry filling and finished off with a buttery crumbly topping. A dessert so simple, yet very satisfying.
One Year Ago: Mardi Gras Cupcakes
Strawberry Crumble Bars
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
For the Strawberry Filling:
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 cups diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch glass or light-colored metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- For the Crumble: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine 1 cup sugar, flour, and baking powder on low speed. Add salt and lemon zest and mix until combined. Add the butter, toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Add egg and mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan. Place reserved half aside. Place the pan and the remainder of the dough in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
- For the Strawberry Filling: In a small bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the strawberries. Sprinkle the strawberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely on wire rack then transfer to the refrigerator to chill before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Yields: 24 bars
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Source: adapted from Blueberry Crumble Bars
Do you love crumble bars as much as I do? Here are a few of my favorite crumble bar recipes!