Back To School Roundup

It’s that time of the year again! Back to School! New teachers, new friends, new clothes, new school supplies, maybe even a new school! This time of year is always so exciting not only for kids, but parents and teachers as well. To celebrate the start of a new school year I thought it would be only fitting to share with you some of my best-loved back to school recipes. From healthy and portable granola bars to homemade applesauce. This roundup has healthy grab and go breakfast ideas to classic lunchbox snacks. :D

Maple Nut Granola:

Packed with crunchy oats, toasted nuts, healthy seeds, coconut, and a medley of dried fruit that will keep your kids going throughout their day. It packs easily into lunch boxes and book bags and can be enjoyed sprinkled over yogurt, eaten by the handful, or even with a splash of milk.

Bran Muffins:

Send your kids out the door with one of these delicious fiber packed bran muffins. Loaded with plump raisins, warm spices, molasses, and wheat bran these moist and tender muffins are a great way to start a busy school day. You can feel good knowing that they are eating a healthy and fiber packed breakfast.

Fruit & Nut Granola Bars:

Healthy, portable, and delicious granola bars packed with almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, blueberries, cranberries, and raisins. You can customize the fruit and nuts for these granola bars to match your child’s taste.

Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas:

Here’s a high protein crunchy snack that will keep them coming back for more. These low calorie chickpeas are a great and healthy alternative to chips and other munchies.

Almond-Honey Power Bars:

These homemade power bars are great for breakfast on the go! Packed with roasted nuts, seeds, oats and dried fruit and with only 122 calories per power bar. This is one snack you can feel good about eating!

Chocolate Cherry Heart Smart Cookies:

Here’s one cookie you won’t mind handing over to your little ones. Chewy, fudgy oatmeal cookies studded with chocolate chunks and plump cherries. They are so fat, chewy and only 94 calorie each!

Peanut Butter and Oat Granola Bites:

Quick and easy breakfast or snack that is great for kids on the go. Just pop one of these delicious peanut butter and granola bites as an energy booster to keep you going through your day. Made with rolled oats, nuts, dried fruits, flaxseed and peanut butter these granola bites are sure to keep you satisfied for hours.

Baked Apple Sauce:

This recipe couldn’t be easier, just cut, season and bake-that’s it! You’ll never buy store-bought apple sauce again! Unlike prepackaged applesauce, you decide how much sugar and spices go into it. There’s nothing better than making applesauce from apples hand-picked by your family.

Homemade Wheat Thins:

A homemade version of the ever so popular Wheat Thins. You won’t believe how easy they are to make at home! Smear a bit of peanut butter or top them with cheese slices. Whatever you decide to top them with-they’re delicious!

Roasted Garlic Hummus:

A perfect accompaniment for those celery sticks and carrots you throw into those lunch boxes. Simple, delicious and packed with protein and fiber to keep them full until they step off the school bus.

If you try any of these Back to School recipes I would love to hear how they turn out for you! Drop me a comment and let me know here or you can even upload a picture over on the Facebook Fan Page for Sweet Pea’s Kitchen!

:D

One Year Ago: Mango Chutney

Two Years Ago: Ratatouille Tart

16 Responses to “Back To School Roundup”

suzie — August 16, 2012 @ 9:54 am

This is great for that great protein students need to power up during their hard work at school! i will try these recipes to share with my classmates! :) thanks.

Michael Ann — August 16, 2012 @ 9:58 am

Great group of recipes, thank you!!!

Stronglikemycoffee — August 16, 2012 @ 10:14 am

I can’t pick which one I want to make today….they ALL would be great! I think I’ve narrowed it down between the wheat thins (anything that I can put peanut butter on instantly gains 5 points) and the peanut butter and oat granola bites…decisions, decisions :)

Rebecca Ednie — August 16, 2012 @ 11:35 am

Schools in many areas, especially in Ontario, maybe Canada too? are banning all nuts and seeds due to allergies so sadly I can’t make most of these for school. Just a heads up that I’d love more choices without these foods!

victoria — August 16, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

I love those chocolate heart smart cherry cookies! I even baked a batch with a little friend of mine & we smelled and sampled the ingredients as we made them. They’re delicious & don’t taste at all healthy!!

Teresa's Thoughts for Today — August 16, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

I’ve printed several of these out and am anxious to try them. Since my kids are young adults, I’m making them for me! Several of them would be great for me to have in-between work-outs and tennis games.

cravesadventure — August 16, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

Love it – got to have energy – may still some ideas to get through the work day:) Happy Thursday!

ChgoJohn — August 16, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

Great round-up, Christina. I’d enjoy each and every recipe and with no kids to pack off to school, I can be selfish as I want. :)

bakingserendipity — August 16, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

I don’t even know if I can pick a favorite from your line-up. Everything here seriously looks amazing! My husband has been bugging me for weeks now to make granola, and I’m definitely going to use your maple nut recipe soon!

Liz — August 16, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

I just moved my youngest to college yesterday, so no kiddos going to school here anymore :( But I’d be happy with all these yummy breakfast and snack ideas for me! Great roundup~

hotlyspiced — August 16, 2012 @ 9:21 pm

Wow! There are so many great things here for back to school. I would love to make some of these delicious and healthy treats. Except for the crackers with peanut butter – nuts and nut products are banned from schools in Australia! xx

Luv What You Do — August 16, 2012 @ 11:18 pm

What a great list of recipes. I can’t wiat to try the PB and Oat Granola Bites!

Katerina — August 17, 2012 @ 1:16 am

This is a beautiful gallery of recipes! I am sure kids would be thrilled with all these goodies!

ashley — August 17, 2012 @ 2:18 am

Thanks for all these great ideas!! Those chickpeas are calling out my name :)

Beth Michelle — August 17, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Such a great round up of recipes. I especially love those roasted chickpeas!!! Cannot wait to try those.

Rachel (teacher-chef) — August 20, 2012 @ 7:54 am

YUM & Happy Back to School to you – wishing you a happy (and healthy) school year!