College Football Bites Roundup

Andrew and I last year at the Ohio State Vs. Illinois game.

Tomorrow marks one of my favorite days of the year! The kickoff to the college football season! Although college football officially kicked off on Thursday night, for me it doesn’t officially start until Ohio State takes the field! I am so excited for this coming season. We are finally back in the Associated Press Top 25 Preseason rankings (we weren’t last year) at #18 and we have Urban Meyer as the new coach! I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the lack of excitement over college football here in Central Illinois. Growing up in Columbus, Ohio everyone lived and breathed the Ohio State Buckeyes. Unfortunately here in Peoria, college football just isn’t as popular. Nonetheless, every Saturday we fly our Buckeye flag, wear our jerseys and buckeye beads and hope that the Buckeyes can pull off a win.

Me and the “boys”, Hemingway and Winston, ready to celebrate an Ohio State win!

If you are planning some tailgating parties this college football season you are going to want to check out my recipes each week. Last year I featured a football bite for each week of the college football season. Everyone loved it so much that I am doing it again this year! Make sure you come back tomorrow for my first College Football Bite of the 2012 season! But right now, let’s look back at the 13 football bites from last year…

Week One: Pizza Pretzel Bites

Pretzel bites stuffed with mozzarella and pepperoni. You can stuff these the night before and place them in the refrigerator. When you are ready to make just let them rise on the counter while you boil the water and preheat the oven. Just boil, bake and serve.

Week Two: Slow Roasted Pulled Pork

Tender, flavorful melt in your mouth pulled pork that is slow roasted for up to 12 hours.

Week Three: Mini Corn Dogs

Bite-sized hot dogs dipped in cornbread batter and fried to golden perfection.

Week Four: Buffalo Chicken Bites

These bite-sized Buffalo Chicken Bites are oven baked, not fried, so not only do they taste great, but are so much healthier for you. They are super easy to make and can even be prepared beforehand if you are hosting a big football party.

Week Five: Texas Chili

Big chunks of beef, spices, chipotle chiles and beans are simmered together to make an incredible chili that your guests will be talking about for weeks! Although the cooking time is well over several hours, the slow cooker does all the work! That means you will have more time to watch every play and spend with your guests.

Week Six: Beer Battered Fried Pickles

Warm, crunchy, beer battered pickles served with a ranch dipping sauce.

Week Seven: Buffalo Wings

Football just isn’t football without some buffalo wings! Sink your teeth into these crispy, crunchy, lightly breaded wings bathed in hot sauce and served with homemade a creamy blue cheese.

Week Eight: Queso Blanco Dip

This recipe is so quick and easy you can have it on your table in less than 10 minutes! You can adjust the heat to your liking by adding more jalapenos and Tabasco sauce.

Week Nine: Sloppy Joes

Sloppy Joes are a quick and easy one-pan meal all of your party guests will love. They are easy to make, serve and eat while cheering on your favorite team.

Week Ten: Ultimate Spicy Beef Nachos

Loaded nachos has to be one of my favorite football snacks. Not only are they super easy to make, but they are always a crowd favorite. Spicy beef, refried beans, and jalapenos are loaded onto tortilla chips, topped with a mound of pepper jack cheese and baked until warm and bubbly.

Week Eleven: Spinach & Artichoke Dip

This warm dish of creamy spinach, tender artichokes, and melted Parmesan cheese is sure to be a hit at your football party. This recipe can be made the day before and baked just before serving. Serve with toasted bread or tortilla chips for a crowd pleasing appetizer.

Week Twelve: Sweet & Sour Meatballs

These meatballs are a football tailgate staple and incredibly delicious. One of the best parts of this recipe is that you can make the meatballs and sauce ahead of time and freeze them for up to a month!

Week 13: Fried Mozzarella Sticks

This easy appetizer uses mozzarella sticks to make the perfect bite for football parties.

And because I can’t finish this round-up without including some Buckeye recipes, here are some recipes just for my Fellow Ohio State Fans! Go Bucks! :D

Buckeye Cupcakes:

Dark chocolate cupcakes with a peanut butter ball in the middle and topped with a creamy peanut butter frosting. The perfect cupcake for any Buckeye fan!

Buckeyes:

Delicious peanut butter balls dipped in rich chocolate to look like a buckeye nut. A must for any Ohio State tailgate!

Peanut Butter “Buckeye” Pretzel Bites:

A buckeye sandwiched between two pretzels and dipped in chocolate!  The sweet and salty combination of these bite-sized snacks is incredible.

Buckeye Ice Cream:

Chocolate peanut butter ice cream loaded with peanut butter cookie dough and rich chocolate chunks. Does it get any better than this? I think not! ;)

Here’s to a good game on Saturday! If you try any of these College Football recipes I would love to hear how they turn out for you! Drop me a comment and let me know here or you can even upload a picture over on the Facebook Fan Page for Sweet Pea’s Kitchen!

One Year Ago: Chocolate Nutella Scotcheroos

Two Years Ago: Southeast Asian Fried Rice

22 Responses to “College Football Bites Roundup”

girlguydogcat — August 31, 2012 @ 10:22 am

I need to try all of these recipes! Love that you’re an Ohio State fan – and glad to see the flag flying proudly! We’ll be in the ‘shoe on saturday, but those football bites will be perfect for away games. I must pin this page to remember!

the second serving — August 31, 2012 @ 11:09 am

Even though these would all classify as guy food, this is all soooo something I want to partake in :)

Caroline — August 31, 2012 @ 11:13 am

GO BUCKS!!!!! One more day! My parents fly our OSU flag every Saturday, and you bet we’re decked out in Buckeye attire. You and your pups look too cute. :) And of course, all of the food looks amazing–as usual.

Laura Dembowski (@piesandplots) — August 31, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

I’m not much of a college football fan, but i don’t mind professional football. These snacks would make watching football all day Sunday awesome too. Those fried pickles caught my eye. I love pickles but have never tried them fried.

Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — August 31, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

This is a fantastic roundup! Bookmarking this for the upcoming season!

di @ life of di. — August 31, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

Wow those Buckeye Cupcakes look so great! As a recent Buckeye graduate, I think I might fix these for one of the home game weekends :)

Marcia — August 31, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

I LOVE College Football!!! I always look forward to the season kick off and we will have a bbq tomorrow and some of these fun bites. Thanks for the recipes and Roll Tide!

Regina — August 31, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

OMG! All of these look so delish..I love any kind of football,just so I can eat this kind’a stuff…NOT!
    You guy’s look so cute in the picture. Thanks for sharing…Regina

ChgoJohn — August 31, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

I really do enjoy these round-ups of yours, Christina. I mean, yes, they’re fantastic for game day but they do equally well when you’ve got friends over for a movie, to play cards, or for whatever reason. Thanks for putting them all together in one convenient post.

vintagesugarcube — August 31, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

Christina- I don’t think I knew you grew up in Columbus. I lived in Columbus during most of my 20s. LOVED it and had so much fun. I miss the OSU games, the fall smell in the air and all the yummy appetizers we’d make. Good memories!! Have fun this weekend.

Karen — August 31, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

Christina, you evidently moved on the wrong side of the state. I didn’t know that college football was so big over there but it is booming in East Central Illinois.

sherry — September 1, 2012 @ 7:06 am

I am NOT waiting…I am starting TODAY!

13. Pingback: Make-Ahead Cheesy Pigs in a Blanket | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Oh My Veggies (@ohmyveggies) — September 2, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Those pretzel bites look so good–I have been wanting to make my own soft pretzels for so long! I’m so not into football, but I can still eat these snacks, right? ;)

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — September 3, 2012 @ 8:35 am

I look forward to football season each year now. No, I don’t actually watch football. I just wait for your roundup. Look at all this!

Heather @ SugarDish(Me) — September 4, 2012 @ 9:55 am

Let’s just be clear that I don’t care a thing about sports, but I would HAPPILY watch every single football game if I could be a part of this football food smorgasboard. WoW!!!

Livebakelove — September 4, 2012 @ 11:43 am

what a great I ideal.. i want one of the cupcakes!

Monica Mooney — September 6, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

Love this idea of putting all the weeks of food goodness here. I bookmarked a few, thanks for the recipes! I’m not a college football fan, but we love our 49’ers here in California on the professional football side! Gooooo, team!

Staci @ ClickandCookRecipes — September 7, 2012 @ 10:15 am

GO BUCKEYES!!!!! :D (oh, love the recipes too!) ;)

wendy@chezchloe — September 9, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

I will have to also admit, I don’t do the football thing… but I LOVE the community and camaraderie it evokes… And the Food!!!
    Great line up here.

Joi — July 27, 2013 @ 8:31 pm

Hi! First of all, love your blog. Your recipes, gorgeous photographs, and personality make this a wonderful place to visit.

I also love your passion for your Buckeyes. Meyer is one of the best coaches of all time. I miss him in the SEC because he plays exciting ball. I’m a diehard UK Wildcats fan and have been since I was born with blue blood running through my veins.

We’re extra excited about football in Kentucky this year. I can’t remember ever looking forward to football as much as basketball before! Counting the days.

Joi

P.S. Your dogs are so freaking adorable!!!

22. Pingback: Sweet Pea's Kitchen » Buckeye Brownies