Little Sweet Pea’s Birth Story

Expecting November 2012

I have kept putting this post off because every time I went to write it, I kept reliving the birth of our Little Sweet Pea in my head. I was so traumatized that I couldn’t get past it enough to share with everyone. It has taken me a full three months to be able to think about the birth without feeling overwhelmed, although my heart flutters and I want to cry when I think about certain memories.

Expecting November 2012

On Tuesday, November 27th around 3:30 in the afternoon, without warning my water broke. I was only two days from my due date, but it came as such a shock to me and it wasn’t anything like I was expecting. We’ve all seen the movies where the women’s water breaks and it floods the floor. Well not so much with me, in fact I wasn’t even sure if that is what happened! I texted Andrew at work saying “I’m 50% certain my water just broke!” He immediately left work to come and get me. Luckily I had already had our hospital bag packed for weeks so all I had to do once Andrew got home was jump in the car.

andrew and christina

When we got to the hospital, I wasn’t having any contractions so we parked in the parking garage and walked up to labor and delivery. They admitted me right away and confirmed that in fact my water did break and I was going to have a baby soon! It was quite surreal knowing we weren’t going to be leaving the hospital. If only I had known what I was in for! I foolishly let myself believe that delivery wasn’t going to be so bad since he had been so low (+1 station) for three weeks.

maternity

Andrew and I walked the halls for about an hour before they finally started me on pitocin around 7pm. It wasn’t until then that I finally felt my first contractions. They were somewhat painful, but I was managing. We watched movies on my laptop until the contractions got too painful to even breathe. Andrew would rub my back and comfort me during the contractions, but they were coming too fast and too strong that something needed to be done!

expecting November 2012

I didn’t go to the hospital with a set birth plan, but I knew I wanted an epidural at some point. That point arrived around 1:00am after being on Poticin for 6 hours. After I got the epidural I couldn’t believe I had waited that long! I felt absolutely nothing…it was such a relief! The nurses told me to rest while I could but it was nearly impossible! Between the baby heart monitor, the blood pressure cuff going off every half hour and my husband snoring peacefully in the chair next to me, there was no sleeping.

maternity

Around 3:30am about five nurses rushed in and put an oxygen mask on me saying that the baby’s heart rate had dropped. I was somewhat asleep with they came in so it scared me half to death! Luckily they were able stabilize the baby’s heart rate quickly, but after that I couldn’t focus on anything else but the baby heart monitor for the rest of the night.

little sweet pea

The pitocin was doing its job, and by 9:00am the next morning I had dilated to an 8. The doctor came in an hour later to check me and said that the baby was in the posterior position. He said that he needed to get the baby to turn and face down before delivery. That’s when he said that he was going to turn off the epidural drip and get me up out of the bed and moving to help the baby turn. I immediately started crying, I remembered how painful those contractions were before I had the epidural. Now being in the most intense part of labor- he wanted to turn off my epidural!

little sweet pea

My doctor kept coming in to check to see if he had turned, after about the third time checking and seeing no change they started prepping for surgery. However, somehow after 4 hours of acrobatics in the room, he finally turned head down right before the doctor was going to move us to the surgical suite. I really can’t put into words how much I appreciated having our amazing nurse Carolyn and nursing student Jenna. Since the baby wasn’t stressed and was handling the delivery just fine, they were determined to deliver my baby naturally!  So much that they even got into a argument with my doctor! Without them, I have no doubt that I would have ended up in the operating room for a C-section.

little sweet pea

As soon as I heard that he had turned I begged them to turn back on my epidural drip. They did, but with all of the movements I was doing trying to get him to turn, the epidural must have moved and it only worked on my left leg. So here I was feeling EVEYTHING except my dead to the world left leg. Now I don’t consider myself a big baby, but the last three hours before he was born was the most grueling experience of my life and it seemed like it would never end.

little sweet pea

I felt the breathtaking contractions and the urge to push almost a full 30 seconds before it showed up on the monitor. I was so exhausted! After three full hours of pushing, he was stuck behind my pelvic bone and not progressing any further. The doctor called in the NICU staff since my water had been broken for over 26 hours. He tried with forceps first with no success, followed by another failed attempt with the vacuum before finally delivering him with his second attempt using forceps. Finally at 4:59 pm, after 26 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing, I heard the most beautiful baby cry. My husband was so excited but I was so out of it, I had trouble comprehending that it was finally over.

little sweet pea

He weighed 7 pounds 13 ounces and 20.25 inches long and perfectly healthy. We are loving our new lives as parents and enjoy spending every second with our Little Sweet Pea. We are so blessed to have such a healthy baby boy.

little sweet pea

77 Responses to “Little Sweet Pea’s Birth Story”

Nicole@HeatOvento350 — March 12, 2013 @ 10:06 am

What a long day! I’m so sorry there were so many bumps in the delivery road. I’m glad her arrived safe and sound after it all. He is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing your story.

Chris — March 12, 2013 @ 10:25 am

Sometimes pitocin war stories turn out for the best…..it completely shut my first labor down. C-section and all, I was actually thankful, in the end, because he was one ounce shy of ten pounds! (Seriously, I’m not a very big gal! I would have died…) No…..you never forget. EVER. Not even after two more. And they have stories of their own! And, YES, it was completely worth it…every last painful frustrating moment. Because you get the sweet reward, right?!?!? Cherish every moment…..

Tara Babb — March 12, 2013 @ 11:52 am

Congradulations to the both of you. I totaly understand your birth trauma, you see my daughter gave birth this past Dec.31st,only by the help of two delivery teams. Her daughters shoulders were lodged inthe birth canal, ( my daughter is small)
    Her baby weighing 8lbs 9ozs was not going to enter this world without those skilled delivery teams, GOD BLESS THEM EACH AND ALL for what they do and the skills that they posess in their careers. Today both are happy, healthy, and doing great! There is no better joy, or greater love in this world than to have children, but so many worries, and things that can happen.
    God Bless you, Hubby, and little sweet pea.

Diane — March 12, 2013 @ 1:03 pm

Congrats to you and your husband. Loved reading the account of baby coming into the world. As I read it, it sounded pretty much like the recent birth of our granddaughter, also in Chicago, and now six months old. I’m happy for you and have loved your site for the past couple of years. It’s very uplifting as well as giving us fabulous recipes. Thank you. Diane

Becki — March 12, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

Congratulations and joyous blessings upon you as you embark on this new role in life. I also had a difficult birth nearly 30 years ago. He was 2 weeks overdue and was 9 lbs. 8 1/4 oz, 22 3/4 inches tall. I won’t go into details, but it was horrifically long, very scary (my first, to boot) and I had no epidural, but of course they gave pitocin since the labor progressed so slowly. When all was said and done, I had a whopper of a son and a bad case of hives brought on by stress. We couldn’t even fit him into newborn size for any clothing articles that had the legs attached to the shirt top (long onesies) because he was so tall!. Had to bring him home from the hospital in 3 month size clothes!

Sharon McDougall — March 12, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

What a beautiful little boy. Enjoy every moment with your child. When I saw the first picture of your son he just took my breath away. A big congratulations to Mom and Dad

Pat — March 12, 2013 @ 2:55 pm

So happy to know that the end of the story was a good one! Best wishes to you and your family.

Pam C — March 12, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

Oh what a lovely story! thanks for sharing:-)

Sylvia — March 12, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

All I can say is WOW…beautiful sweet pea..Thank you for sharing the pictures..Congrats and enjoy every precious moment with your blessing.

Sandra - The Foodie Affair — March 12, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

Delivery is no picnic, that’s for sure, but look at your beautiful creation! Your photos are fantastic! I wish I had captured the same beauty when mine were just born. Somehow and someday, you’ll forget about the pain and maybe have another little miracle. Congratulations!

Julia A. — March 12, 2013 @ 6:41 pm

Despite the birth being such a scary experience, I’m so happy everything turned out well and you are blessed with such an adorable baby! I am so happy for you all! :-)

Kim - Liv Life — March 12, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Congratulations!! Oh my goodness I’m loving your photos! They make all the delivery worth it, don’t they? I had a very similar experience, and I have learned what the word “pitocen” means first hand. I had over a day of labor, dialated to a 6, then went to a 5, 4… and then a c-section after all. The c-section was the easiest part of the whole thing and I actually scheduled one for the 2nd child and never felt a thing!! My recovery was not a big deal, so all was good.
    I’m so happy for you and your family!!

Kristen — March 12, 2013 @ 11:20 pm

This could be my own birth story!! My little guy ended up in NICU for two days as a result of the prolonged labor. He’s 9 now and PERFECT! (Not to worry–the next son was born with only 2 pushes–it was the birth story you dream of!) :-)

Nicole @ OrWhateverYouDo — March 14, 2013 @ 6:41 am

Oh gosh. Your labor and delivery sounds much, much like my first one. Especially the last few hours. I also was really, really traumatized by the whole thing. I remember about a week after the birth crying to my husband and apologizing for not handling it better! O.O (I spent the last 2ish hours crying and just begging for it to be over. Nothing like an unmedicated vacuum extraction to make you want to actually die.) He obviously thought I was crazy and assured me that I was probably the toughest person he’s ever seen, going through all that, and he was very proud.

I’m not sure what your future plans are, but I just wanted to assure you just in case…my 2nd delivery? It was so fast, and so easy that after it was over my husband and I were left in the room with the baby and we both looked at each other and said, “Was that it? Its over?” I think we were both gearing up for another ordeal.

I’m now 11ish weeks from the birth of #5, and even then there is a little bit of nervousness about how it will all go, but NONE of them have been even close to as painful and traumatic as that first one.

Congrats on your newest addition!

Theresa B — March 14, 2013 @ 1:01 pm

Congratulations my dear! I had similar tribulations with my firstborn…the pitocin, the “Sunnyside up” position, the forceps…then the beautiful end…a well an healthy baby. God bless you folks!

Jen — March 15, 2013 @ 7:10 am

Congratulations! He is precious! Iove the photos – what a beautiful family!

colleen @ Secrets from the Cookie Princess — March 15, 2013 @ 2:09 pm

Many congratulations again–I’m sorry it was traumatic and painful for you, but he’s beautiful. I hope this will become a distant memory for you as he grows.

Laura Dembowski — March 16, 2013 @ 7:42 am

That certainly sounds like a very rough night. I’m sure you are glad it’s over but mostly that you have such a wonderful new addition to your family.

Vicky — March 16, 2013 @ 11:23 am

Whew! I was exhausted reading that story! Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby boy!

mary — March 20, 2013 @ 11:36 am

Congratulations !!!
    Your little sweet pea is beautiful!

Jenn — March 21, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

Loved your birth story but so sorry for the pain you endured. I gave birth to 3 beautiful babies in the 80’s and no epidural until a block during delivery. But only half the time that you had. I have been Blessed to be with my daughter and son-in-law for both of my granchildren’s birth. Your family is beautiful and I am so happy I found your site! Your recipe s look so good!

Anita Menon — March 22, 2013 @ 11:50 am

Big congrats!. He is g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s. Its been a while that I haven’t visited your blog. Then I come here to see this fantastic post. I empathize with the stress you went through. I had my girl 3.5 years ago. Though i have those memories intact, I have realized that over 3 years time, all the painful and stressful ones faded, leaving me with only the wonderful memories of holding her and feeling lucky. So I believe, it would happen to you too. Till then, enjoy every moment with your precious! Much love and happiness to your beautiful family.

Maggie — March 24, 2013 @ 11:36 pm

Congratulations!! I love your blog, it is so cheerful and inviting to browse, and I am so happy for you and your husband! What a beautiful baby boy :)

Danielle — April 6, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Such an incredible story and gorgeous photographs. Congratulations to your and your husband, you have an beautiful little son.

honeywhatscooking — January 10, 2014 @ 4:33 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. He’s gorgeous. OMG.. I was actually thinking you would write every little detail… I was like OMG, what’s next. Dreading it for myself, if it ever happens. Really happy you shared and ended up going the natural route. :-)

26. Pingback: Sweet Pea's Kitchen » Rainbow Poke Cake