Sweet Pea’s Side Dish: Losing the Baby Weight

Last Wednesday I told you about the new segment that I am adding to my blog called “Sweet Pea’s Side Dish” This will be a place to share with you what is going on in my life, baby stuff, our traveling adventures, and whatever else I feel like rambling on about that week. This week I want to share with you my experience with Losing the Baby Weight. Unfortunately, I was not one of those moms who lost the weight effortlessly. I worked hard, often 5 to 6 days a week to lose the weight. It took a whole lot of dedication and discipline.

Sweet Pea’s Side Dish: Losing the Baby Weight

The month that I got pregnant with Little Sweet Pea, I was in my third month of P90x Doubles. I was the strongest and fittest I have ever been. I had worked really hard to get to the point that I was at and going into the pregnancy I swore to myself that I would lose the baby weight quickly. I also swore that I would not gain a lot of weight. About 13 weeks into my pregnancy I found out that I had a anterior placenta and the doctor told me “no workouts or strenuous activity” until my third trimester. Well, after sitting around a lot, eating pizza and ice cream, when I finally got the go ahead to workout again, I struggled, so I wasn’t terribly surprised that by the time I was full term {Birth Story} I had gained 45 pounds!

Sweet Pea’s Side Dish: Losing the Baby Weight

I didn’t beat myself up about it, but it did spark a new fire in me to lose the weight quickly. I was pleasantly surprised to step on the scale two weeks after giving birth to see that I was down 21 pounds. Certainly losing the rest was going to be easy, right? I couldn’t have been more wrong. Sure I knew having a baby was going to change things, I just had no idea how much. At first I thought, “oh well, I will just workout when he naps, or perhaps after he goes to bed.” Yeah, right! Little Sweet Pea would only nap in my arms. I tried everything and anything to get him to nap in his crib, but he fought me tooth and nail and it just didn’t happen. By the time I finally did get him to bed at night I was exhausted and the last thing I wanted to do was go and do a workout. My weight stayed the same for months.

diddly squats

Finally around the time Little Sweet Pea turned 7 1/2 months, he finally began to sleep in his crib during naps. I was finally able to use that nap time for a workout session. I began tracking my workouts and calories and I’m so happy to say that I am down another 19 pounds. I’m working my way toward that pre-pregnancy weight (5 pounds to go!!) and I’m feeling great!

worth it

Since this is the time of year for New Year’s Resolutions, I thought I would share with you mine. I credit all of my weight loss so far with running at least 15 miles a week, watching my calories and eating a healthy, well rounded diet. Since the weather is nasty here in Illinois, I do all of my running on the treadmill in our basement. I find that running on a treadmill makes it much easier to do speed work. Here is an example of my typical 3 mile treadmill run:

3 Mile Treadmill Run-perfect for when it's too cold to run outside!

Since I am so close to my pre-pregnancy weight, finally after almost two years, I feel like I am finally ready to embark on P90X again. If you are familiar with P90x you will see that my workout calendar below is a combination of the P90x classic and doubles routine.

P90x Doubles Schedule January 2014

On the days that I’m doing two workouts I wake up early and do the first workout before Little Sweet Pea wakes up. The second workout is during his first nap of the day. It takes a whole lot of dedication and discipline, but 2014 is my year!

For all the mamas out there, how did you lose/plan on losing the pregnancy weight? I’d love to hear your stories! :)

Do you have any experience with P90X?

18 Responses to “Sweet Pea’s Side Dish: Losing the Baby Weight”

Necole@seriouslysassymama — January 7, 2014 @ 8:28 am

It will come off I promise, maybe just in a different way. I have learned after three kids, that a woman finds her true body shape after she has children. I finally started to really get back in shape after my youngest turned 5. At 37 all I can say is I wish I was 25. Good Luck!

• Christina replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 11:50 am

I’ve already noticed that it comes off in a different way! Even though I am 5 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight it doesn’t look like it yet! It just makes me want to try a little harder! :)

Erika Lamar — January 7, 2014 @ 4:37 pm

Hi there, it is very hard to lose the weight…especially the older you get, lol! I had our first child, Gage David, when I was 23, our second, Karleigh Elaine, less than eleven months later and our third, Morgan Marie when I was 28. I am in the Navy and had to get back in shape. It was a lot easier with my first two than the third and I blame that on my age with the third. I found that the eliptical worked better than the treadmill or running outside. No impact on my joints, plus, on the elipitcal YOU are providing all the momentum where as with the treadmill, the belt will run whether you are on it or not. I also love the P90X, especially the yoga! Totally kicked my butt! I also have an abdominal exercise I do that has trimmed my waist line. Good luck on those last five pounds! Why are they always the hardest to come off? Thank you also for the yummy dishes you put out. I print out and save all of them and my family loves the ones I have used so far!

• Christina replied: — January 8th, 2014 @ 8:00 am

The last five are always so hard to lose! I do love the elliptical machine too, but since most of my workouts are done during my sons nap time or before he wakes up, I use what we have in the basement. :)
      I’m so happy to hear that your family has enjoyed the recipes that I have posted! :D

Layla @ Brunch Time Baker — January 8, 2014 @ 12:13 am

I can completely relate to you. With my first daughter I lost all the weight right after birth! I guess it was because I was young then. My 2nd daughter is 10 months old now and I still have not lost the weight. I’m working hard on it but it’s harder as we age.

• Christina replied: — January 8th, 2014 @ 8:06 am

Maybe it is true the older we get the harder it becomes. Having my first one at 31, I didn’t have the experience of the weight coming off effortlessly like I have heard so many people say. It just makes me more determined than ever though. I just hate every time you read about losing the pregnancy weight (especially in magazines and such) that women are back to their pre pregnancy size weeks after birth. I just wish that my body would have gotten that memo! Ha! ;)

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron — January 8, 2014 @ 12:51 am

Good luck on reaching your goal weight! I admire your discipline!

• Christina replied: — January 8th, 2014 @ 8:06 am

Thanks so much for the encouragement! :)

Laura Dembowski — January 8, 2014 @ 10:28 am

You look awesome! Good for you that you have put in all the hard work to get back to where you want to be. I would love to give p90x a try. I love doing different workouts, but I spend a lot of time on the elliptical, which is a really good workout. I’m totally with you on not exercising outside – it’s waaaay too cold!

• Christina replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 12:35 pm

Thanks so much Laura! I absolutely love P90X. I love how it’s a combination of cardio and weight training. :)

Julie — January 11, 2014 @ 10:18 am

Taking my baby out in the jogging stroller is what helped me lose the baby weight! (And helped her nap in those early weeks!). I started out walking, then worked my way up to running. She loves being in the jogger and it gives me a good upper body workout too! Nothing like pushing a combined 45 pounds to make ya work! :)

I used to do P90X but she is SUCH a short napper (30 mins max) that I only really have time to do half of one. I just got some Jillian Michael’s dads that are shorter so hopefully that will help. :) I admire your discipline for a double workout!

• Christina replied: — January 12th, 2014 @ 4:00 pm

Hi Julie!

I love using the jogging stroller too and I would take him out in it all the time when it was warmer. But now since it is winter all the running has been moved indoors to the treadmill. I can’t wait for spring! :) It is crazy how much extra work it is pushing a jogging stroller! I thought I got a lightweight one (Bob Ironman) too! It is hit or miss if little man will fall asleep in the stroller though and usually if I run further than 5 miles he starts to get fussy. Good luck with the Jillian Michael’s DVD’s I hear that they are pretty awesome too! :)

Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar — January 13, 2014 @ 9:07 am

Wow! Such determination! That’s so awesome. I worry about the same thing when we have kids and I don’t think I have nearly the determination that you do :) Good for you!

• Christina replied: — January 14th, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

Thanks so much Lindsay! Hopefully you’ll be one of those moms that loses the weight effortlessly! :)

Amy @ Elephant Eats — January 13, 2014 @ 9:09 am

Congrats on making such good progress toward your pre-pregnancy weight! I can’t even imagine what it must be like to be forced to do nothing when you’ve been used to being so active. I don’t even want to think about how much I’m going to gain when i get preggo ;)

• Christina replied: — January 14th, 2014 @ 9:38 pm

Thanks so much Amy! It was pretty terrible being so sedentary during most of my pregnancy. I’m usually such an active person that it drove me crazy! :)

Shauna — January 14, 2014 @ 10:54 pm

Wow, you’ve done so well! Great job at pushing yourself and making a plan with some tangible goals!
    Pre-pregnancy I did P90X and was extremely happy with my results. I just hate going to the gym, but there’s something about following a set workout schedule and using DVDs with great trainers that keeps me going.
    Like you, I gained 40+lbs during pregnancy (and I’m pretty darn small). For the first year I just kind of worked away slowly at it, trying to do running with the jogging stroller, the odd baby bootcamp, etc.
    The weight really started to come off when I made the plunge to do Les Mills Combat (same DVD style as P90X). I LOVED it! They’re all punching and kicking, high energy stuff, and since I had a very short napper (30-45min), I could do most of the workouts during her nap. For the odd longer one, I’d do them in the evenings. I loved this program so much that I decided to become a Beachbody coach :D
    Next came Focus T25 (seriously, 25-minute workouts, and they are TOUGH!). Love love love it! I’ve surpassed all of my fitness goals, and have found abs in there.
    Anyways, some ideas for other programs for you! I really wish you well, and oh-so-much success! If you need some encouragement, we should talk :)

• Christina replied: — January 15th, 2014 @ 11:41 am

Thanks so much Shawna!I’ve heard great things about T25 recently and I’m thinking I might give that one (or P90x3) a try when I am finished with this round of P90X. It’s great hearing that you had such amazing results with it! :)