Sweet Pea’s Side Dish: Winter 2014

Polar Vortex. Thundersnow. Snow rollers. Ice. Sleet. Heavy Snowfall. I’m over it! Can someone please make it stop snowing already? I’m ready to go somewhere where I need sunglasses and sunscreen. Somewhere with sand. Or a pool. Who’s with me?

winter 2014

I’ve always hated winter, but this year has really hit me hard. I always enjoy snow on Christmas and through my birthday (January 1). For that one week a year I’m mesmerized by the snow. The majestic and unusually quiet snow covered winter wonderland. The roaring fireplace. Curling up under a cozy blanket. I love it-but only for that one week. Then it’s time to go! Pack your bags winter, you are no longer welcome here. I’m sick of waking up to temperatures like this…

Winter 2014

As of Friday, February 14, there was snow present in 49 of  50 states. Florida was the only state without snow on the ground. That’s all the convincing I need to become a snowbird for life! South Florida, here we come! ;)

snow depth winter 2014

Anchorage, Alaska, which has one of the nation’s highest average snowfall totals of any city, has only recorded 45.3 inches of snow this season (as of 02/17/14). You know how much snow Peoria has received this season so far?  48.9 inches!  48.9 inches people! That makes this year the 2nd snowiest year in Peoria’s history. The record is 52.5″ set back in 2010-11. We have actually had more snow in Peoria, Illinois than Anchorage, Alaska. That’s just not right! As if the snow amount wasn’t enough to make me want to hibernate for the rest of the season, so far this winter is the 7th coldest on record for us. Since January 1, we have had 19 days at or below 0 degrees! Ugh!

winter-2014

But just when I think there is no end in sight, I realize that there’s only 29 days left until spring. I’ve never been more ready. We’re cold. We’re miserable. We’re ready for some warm weather!

How’s the weather been in your part of the world? Are you struggling through the Polar Vortex and never-ending snow too?

22 Responses to “Sweet Pea’s Side Dish: Winter 2014”

Monica — February 19, 2014 @ 8:53 am

I live in MN and we too have been affected by the Polar Vortex and never-ending snow. I am SOOOOO done with winter. Our driveway has narrowed significantly and it’s getting tough to fling snow over 6-8′ tall “snow hedges”. I have hope that spring will come again…today is shaping up to be in the upper 30s (above zero) for the second day in a row. But more snow and cold are looming on the horizon. Ugh!

• Christina replied: — February 20th, 2014 @ 4:14 pm

We have the same tall snow hedges! You get a great back workout flinging that snow all the way up to the top of the pile! ;) It is warmer here today, but a cold front and temperatures in the teens are supposed to return this weekend! I’m so ready for warm weather!

Laura Dembowski — February 19, 2014 @ 10:59 am

I am in denial over winter at this point. I truly hate winter and never want to see snow again . . . even on Christmas. Here’s to moving somewhere warm and fast!

• Christina replied: — February 20th, 2014 @ 4:16 pm

I’m with you! I need warm weather…I’m always trying to convince my husband to move somewhere warm! Maybe some day! In the meantime I think I need to plan a vacation to the beach next year when it is this cold!

Liz — February 19, 2014 @ 12:05 pm

Try and stay warm. I’m sorry about the weather. I know it’s bad and so unusual. Cute pictures of a real cutie.

• Christina replied: — February 20th, 2014 @ 4:18 pm

Thanks Liz! Little Sweet Pea sure had a blast walking around in the snow! He kept yelling “wow!” So cute!! :)

Maria P. — February 19, 2014 @ 12:06 pm

I feel your pain. Our winters are always like this in Montreal, but we’re used to it.
    It looks like you have perfect snowman-making weather… :-)

• Christina replied: — February 20th, 2014 @ 4:20 pm

The snow is perfect for snowman making…too bad the wind chills have been around negative 45 degrees most days this winter! Being born and raised in the Midwest, you think I would be used to cold weather too…but it always gets to me! :)

Lin — February 19, 2014 @ 3:12 pm

We are struggling with severe drought and record high temps. This is the time of year for our rainy season. We’ve had less than 2 inches. :(

• Christina replied: — February 20th, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

Oh no! That sounds like our past summer here! I wish I could send some of our cold weather over to you! ;) Here’s hoping for cooler temperatures and rain for you guys!

Cheryl McAskill — February 19, 2014 @ 3:40 pm

I so agree with you! Enough already! I am so ready for warmer weather and NOW! I don’t think we are the only ones that feel this way! BTW Love the funny cartoon!

• Christina replied: — February 20th, 2014 @ 4:23 pm

I laughed so hard when I saw that cartoon. It’s so spot on too! Just wait until mid July…all these cold temperatures will be a blur! :)

Maria M — February 19, 2014 @ 9:41 pm

Drought city here in SoCal. It’s been hot all winter, quite the opposite of the rest of the nation. Strange. So sorry you’ve had such a miserable winter.

• Christina replied: — February 20th, 2014 @ 4:26 pm

I know how tough it is being in drought conditions…We have been that way for the past two summers here! Here’s hoping you guys get some rain soon! :)

Renee@Two in the Kitchen — February 20, 2014 @ 8:12 am

I am SO with you Christina! I am in the Chicago area and I’ve never hated the winter more!! My husband and I are so ready to pack up our bags…..but then we remember the little issue about our jobs, family, having built a life here and so on and so forth…….Ahhh, to dream though!!! Spring is coming though! High 40’s yesterday, it felt soooo good!! :) -ps: Your baby looks like an angel in the snow!

• Christina replied: — February 26th, 2014 @ 8:01 pm

Darn job and responsibilities! ;) At least we can go on vacation to leave the snow and cold weather behind! I’m more then ready for spring to arrive. :)

iscribbler — February 20, 2014 @ 10:56 am

I was planning our anniversary and went way overboard with dreams of white beaches and warm sun. And then I looked at our checkbook and got right back to lacing up my winter boots. lol I’m with you on being so over the snow and cold. It’s starting to warm up a bit where I’m at, but I don’t trust it! I’m sure that sometime soon we’ll be back below freezing. ~_~

BTW, those are very sweet pictures! Love that coat and especially the color! I want my kitchen in that soft buttery yellow, but it’s so hard to find appliances and tools in that shade.

• Christina replied: — February 26th, 2014 @ 8:03 pm

Ahhhh, white sandy beaches sound amazing right about now!

I love the color of Little Sweet Pea’s coat too….makes me think of spring! :)

Kris - Sugar Cookies to Peterbilts — February 20, 2014 @ 7:44 pm

I am so on board with you. Your first paragraph sounds just like what I have been saying. Today was suppose to be the big sow storm, but it looks like are going to end up with an annoying mix of ice. Spring please! We have planned our vacation, but we don’t leave until end of March…. Not soon enough!

• Christina replied: — February 26th, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

Our vacation isn’t until the first week of April…definitely not soon enough! :D

Patrice — February 20, 2014 @ 11:40 pm

Sweetpea in the snow is adorable!

In Colorado we have had snow so many times this year. Last night dropped another two inches unexpectedly.
    The front walk and driveway were covered in ice this morning.
    No walking out for the paper!
    Can’t wait for warm weather and spring flowers!!

• Christina replied: — February 26th, 2014 @ 8:06 pm

Thanks so much Patrice! I can’t wait for those spring flowers to appear either or to finally see our grass again..I think it has been covered with snow almost the whole winter! :)