When you are craving a crispy Beef Taquito, you have to try this recipe. Homemade beef taquitos with avocado sauce is like taking tacos to a whole new level. With similar flavors, these hand help bites are just what you need.
For the Taquitos:
- 1 cup plus 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 onion, halved and sliced thin
- 2 jalapeño chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the Avocado Sauce:
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, and chopped coarse
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- For The Taquitos: In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high, heat 1 teaspoon oil until just smoking. Add beef and cook, breaking apart meat with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer and all to drain while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- In a medium bowl, mash beans to paste with potato masher or fork; set aside.
- In the now-empty skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeños, garlic, cumin, and chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mashed beans, tomato sauce, water, cilantro, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Stir in drained beef and cook, until mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to bowl; set aside to cool, about 20 minutes.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set a wire rack inside a second rimmed baking sheet. Wrap 6 tortillas in a wet paper towel; place on plate and microwave until hot and pliable, about 90 seconds. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, brush edges of the top half of each tortilla with egg. Spoon 3 tablespoons of filling onto the lower half of each tortilla and roll tightly and place seam side down on lined baking sheet. Cover with clean damp towel. Microwave remaining 6 tortillas and repeat with remaining filling. (Taquitos can be made up to 24 hours in advance, covered with damp towel, wrapped in plastic, and refrigerated.)
- To Fry the Taquitos: Heat oven to 200 degrees. Heat remaining 1 cup oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until 350 degrees. Place 6 taquitos, seam side down, in oil and fry until golden, about 5 minutes. Flip and fry until second side is golden, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to wire rack and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining taquitos.
- To Bake the Taquitos: Heat the oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Lightly brush each taquito with oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake 15-18 minutes, or until the tortillas are crisp and golden-brown.
- For the Avacado Sauce: Meanwhile, combine avocados, yogurt, water, lime juice, and cilantro in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with plastic until ready to serve. Serve taquitos with sauce.
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: beef taquitos