Red velvet whoopie pies are gorgeous & incredible. Learn how to make red velvet sandwich cookies with 12 ingredients. This is the best whoopie pie recipe ever!
For the Whoopie Pies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
For the Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment; set aside. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in food coloring.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1-inch apart.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until tops are set. Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets.
- To make the cream filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto back of 1/2 the cookies.
Source: adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: red velvet whoopie pies, red velvet sandwich cookies, best whoopie pie recipe, easy whoopie pie recipe