Looking for a way to use fresh zucchini? You have to try these Carrot-Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting. Spicy Carrot-Zucchini Bars are covered in cream cheese frosting! An easy and delicious way to use zucchini from your garden.
For the Bars:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (grated on the large side of a box grater)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
For the Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9×13 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan) Butter the parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, oil, honey, eggs and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in the carrots, zucchini (and optional walnuts and/or raisins) and stir just until combined.
- Spread the batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the Frosting: Place cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as necessary.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cooled bars. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.For optimal results, allow to return to room temperature before serving.
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: zucchini bars