These hot cocoa cookies are full of rich chocolate flavor and marshmallows. This cocoa cookie recipe is perfect for cookie exchanges and an easy dessert!
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate bars, plus 7.5 ounces cut into 1-inch squares and 5 ounces for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups (packed) light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 30 marshmallows
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and 12 ounces of chopped chocolate, stirring frequently, over medium heat until smooth. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla at low speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Mix in the cooled chocolate mixture until just blended. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing on low speed until just combined. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat to 325 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough and roll between your palms to form 1-inch balls. Arrange about 16 balls 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet, flattening slightly. Bake until the tops of the cookies crack, about 12 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, cut 7.5 ounces of semisweet chocolate bars into 1-inch squares. Snip 8 marshmallows in half crosswise and stick 1 square of chocolate onto each of the cut sides.
- Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and gently press a marshmallow half, chocolate side down, into each cookie. Bake until the marshmallows are just softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer the pans to wire racks and grate the remaining chocolate over the hot cookies. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the racks; let cool 5 minutes before serving. Repeat the process with the remaining dough, marshmallows and chocolate. Bake each batch on a clean sheet of parchment. Serve warm.
- Category: dessert
Keywords: hot cocoa cookies, hot cocoa cookie recipe, hot chocolate cookie recipe