Seafood lovers need to taste these delicious Easy Baked Mussels Recipe. They are loaded with garlic, butter, cheese, and the most amazing seasonings.
- 2 Pounds Fresh Mussels
- ½ Cup Butter
- 8 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Thumb Fresh Ginger, sliced
- 1 Cup Medium or Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ Tsp. Dried Thyme
- ⅛ Tsp. Cayenne Powder
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Fresh Parsley, minced for garnishing
- *Water for boiling
- Properly clean mussels by brushing the outer shell and washing with cold running water. Remove the dark hairy part referred to as the “beard” or byssus.
- In a casserole, boil water with ginger. Water should be enough to soak the fresh mussels. Add mussels and allow to boil for one to two minutes. Drain water. Separate the shells of mussels – discard the empty shell and transfer the mussel meat with shell to a tray lined with lightly greased foil. For mussels that did not open when boiled, opt to discard them.
- In a skillet, melt butter over low heat and fry garlic until slightly golden. Turn off the heat and add dried thyme and cayenne powder. Spoon garlic-butter mixture over mussels. Season with ground black pepper. Top with grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake mussels in a preheated oven of 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with fresh parsley.
I used cheddar and didn’t add salt to mussels.
If you opt to use mozzarella cheese, season mussels with some salt if desired.
For #2, some articles say closed mussels are still safe to eat.