Looking for a delicious chocolate layer cake? You have to try this decadent German Chocolate Layer Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting. This is so much more than just a chocolate cake. One bite and you will think you are in heaven.
- 4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup 2 % milk
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ½ cups coconut flakes
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt chocolate with the water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until just melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Pour in the melted chocolate and mix together.
- Next, mix in the eggs, vanilla and milk until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the mixing bowl and stir or mix into the batter until just combined.
- Spray 3 8-inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. For extra coverage, line the bottom of the pans with an 8 inch circle of parchment paper.
- Pour batter evenly between the three pans and then bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothipick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool and make frosting.
- After frosting has cooled, assemble the cake:
- Put the first layer rounded side down on a cake plate, topping with 1/3 of the frosting.
- Add the second layer also rounded side down, repeating with another layer of the frosting.
- Add the 3rd layer, rounded side up. Top with remaining frosting. Do not frost the sides.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour prior to serving to make the cake easier to slice. Save any leftovers covered in the refrigerator.
- Melt butter and then add in granulated sugar, brown sugar, evaporated milk and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Mix in egg yolks.
- Cook over medium heat, frequently stirring, until mixture thickens and is bubbly. This should be 10-12 minutes.
- Add in coconut and pecans and stir to combine.
- Remove from stovetop and cool for at least 30 minutes, stirring now and then.
Makes 12 servings.
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: chocolate layer cake