Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup will keep you warm, satisfied, and your taste buds happy. Every spoonful of this delectable soup is filled with juicy chicken, veggies, egg noodles, and seasonings that will keep you coming back for more.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), breast removed and split, remaining chicken cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into medium dice
- 2 quarts boiling water
- Table salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium rib celery, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Egg Noodles
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- Ground black pepper
- Heat oil in large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers and starts to smoke, add chicken breast halves; sauté until brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside. Add half of chopped onions to the pot; sauté until colored and softened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl; set aside. Add half of chicken pieces to the pot and sauté until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl with onions. Sauté remaining chicken pieces. Return onions and chicken pieces (excluding breasts) to the pot. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until chicken releases its juices, about 20 minutes.
- Increase heat to high; add boiling water along with both breast halves, 2 teaspoons salt, and bay leaves. Return to simmer, then cover and barely simmer until chicken breasts are cooked and broth is rich and flavorful, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts from pot; set aside. When cool enough to handle, remove skin from breasts, then remove meat from bones and shred into bite-size pieces; discard skin and bone. Strain broth; discard bones. Skim fat from broth, reserving 2 tablespoons. (Broth and meat can be covered and refrigerated up to 2 days.)
- Return Dutch oven to medium-high heat. Add reserved chicken fat. Add remaining onions, along with carrot, celery, and garlic; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add thyme, along with broth and chicken; simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors meld, 10 to 15 minutes. Add noodles and cook until al dente. Adjust seasonings, stir in parsley, and serve.
Source: adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: american