Pizza and pretzels together? Yes, please! One of my favorite appetizers to make for game day are Pizza Pretzel Bites, these would be a hit!
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Canola oil
- Pepperoni slices, cut into small pieces
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 quarts water
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- 1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
- Coarse sea salt
- Pizza sauce-for dipping
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, mix together the water, sugar, yeast, and butter. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and flour to the yeast mixture. Knead dough at medium speed until a smooth and elastic ball forms, 3 to 4 minutes. If dough is sticky, add 1 tablespoons of flour at a time until dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled large bowl and turn the dough to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 21 inch rope. Cut the dough into 3-inch pieces to make the pretzel bites.
- Roll each bite flat with a rolling pin.
- Stuff with pepperoni and cheese.
- Fold over the dough and pinch the ends. Place on a baking sheet and continue until all pretzel bites are stuffed.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the baking soda and lower heat to a simmer. Carefully boil pretzels in batches. Boil for about 30 seconds.
- Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with pizza sauce for dipping.
- Category: snack
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: pizza bites