This Old Fashioned Orange Cake Recipe will make you smack your lips and beg for seconds. Its citrusy goodness is perfect throughout this spongy and delightful cake.
- 4 C flour
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter, melted
- 4 C sugar
- 2 C Buttermilk
- 2 tsp pure Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Orange extract
- 4 tbsp Orange zest
- 3–5 drops of orange gel food coloring
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients:
- 6 sticks (3 C) unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 6–8 C powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large piping bag fitted with a star tip
- 1 small angled spatula
- Orange gel food coloring
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 3 9inch baking rounds with pam baking spray
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the eggs, butter, and sugar until combined
- Beat in the buttermilk, vanilla, orange extract and orange zest until combined
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture until combined
- Mix until combined the orange food coloring
- Divide the batter between the three pans and baking for 30-35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean in the center
- Allow the cakes to cool down completely. Then, cut the dome on top of the cake and the stiff sides.
Vanilla Frosting Directions:
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla on low speed until smooth, then mix for an additional 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter.
- Spread 1 cup of frosting over top, then top with the second cake layer, pressing lightly down.
- Spread 1 cup of frosting evenly over the top
- Repeat the steps with the remaining two cake layers
- Frost a crumb coat onto the cake and then place cake into the fridge for 30 minutes
- Scoop 1 C of white frosting into one bowl
- In the first bowl, mix in a few drops of orange gel food coloring
- Remove cake from fridge and place onto a rotating cake stand
- Scoop 1 C of white frosting into the piping bag
- Using remaining white frosting, frost entire cake and smooth with a cake smoother
- Using the angled spatula, scoop out some orange frosting and randomly dap it onto the white frosting
- Using the cake smoother, smooth the orange frosting into the white to create a unique blend
- Pipe dollops of white frosting onto the top
- Zest an orange over the top
- Place in the fridge overnight to allow frosting to harden before enjoying!
- Category: dessert