Bite into this Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger Recipe, and you will be glad you did. It’s full of nutrients, hearty black beans, sweet potatoes, and it’s a vegetarian option too.
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and well-drained, divided
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes, skin on and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 6 tablespoons wheat bran
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring vegetable stock and quinoa to a boil. Cover and simmer on low 15 minutes, or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Let cool. (you should have about 1 cup of cooked quinoa)
- While the quinoa is cooking, place sweet potato chunks in a large microwavable safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave 7 to 10 minutes, or until a paring knife glides easily through flesh. Gently mash the sweet potatoes so that chunks are still visible (you do not want it to be creamy)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash half of the black beans until creamy and paste-like. Add in the rest of the beans and give a very light stir/mash to combine. Stir in the mashed sweet potatoes, ½ cup of cooked qunioa, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, coriander, chili powder, cayenne olive oil, corn, onion, garlic, sunflower seeds, and wheat bran, until just combined. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Divide into 8 pieces and form each piece into a 1/2”-3/4” thick patty. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, flipping once half-way through baking time.
- Serve on top of toasted split buns with swiss cheese and desired garnishes.
Source: adapted from The Edible Perspective
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: AMERICAN