New York Style Cheesecake

Yesterday was my birthday and no birthday is complete without a favorite dessert. Here is my heaven…new york style cheesecake with fresh strawberry topping! Mmmmm..love it! :) A slice of smooth, creamy and rich cheesecake is the perfect way to celebrate my birthday and ring in the new year. I know what you are thinking…what is she doing giving me a recipe for a delicious cheesecake…I have started my new years resolution to lose weight! I know it’s torture…but think of how I feel every year! I had to choose to be good and have a strawberry or celebrate my birthday and have a slice of strawberry cheesecake! I think I know which one I am going to choose! ;)

New York Style Cheesecake

For the Crust:

• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 additional tablespoon, melted, for greasing the pan
  • 8 whole (4 ounces) graham crackers, broken into rough pieces and processed in a food processor into fine, even crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon sugar

For the Cheesecake:

• 2 1/2 pounds (5 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, cut into 1-inch chunks, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
  • 6 large eggs, at room temperature

For the crust: with the oven rack in the lower-middle position,  heat oven to 325 degrees F. Brush the sides and bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with ½ tablespoon of melted butter.

In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Add 5 tablespoons melted butter and toss with a fork until the mixture is evenly moistened. Transfer the crumbs to the springform pan and use the bottom of a ramekin or glass to press the crumbs evenly into the bottom of the springform pan.

Bake until fragrant and beginning to brown around the edges, about 13 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

For the cheesecake, increase the oven temperature to 500 degrees F. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese at low speed to break up and soften it slightly, about 1 minute. With a rubber spatula, scrape the beater and the bottom and sides of the bowl.  Add the salt and about half of the sugar and beat at low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl; beat in the remaining sugar until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl; add the sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla and beat at low speed until combined, about 1 minute.

Scrape down the bowl; add the egg yolks and beat at low speed until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl; add the remaining eggs 2 at a time, beating until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute, scraping the bowl between additions.

Brush the sides of the springform pan with the remaining ½ tablespoon melted butter.

Place the springform pan on a rimmed baking sheet (to catch any spills in case the pan leaks). Pour filling into the cooled crust and bake 10 minutes; without opening the oven door, reduce the oven temperature to 200 degrees and continue to bake until the cheesecake reads about 150 degrees on an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center, about 1½ hours.

Transfer the cake to a wire rack and cool until barely warm, 2½ to 3 hours. To free the sides of the cheesecake from the pan, run a paring knife between the cake and the pan sides. Keep the pan sides intact. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours.
To unmold the cheesecake, removed the sides of the pan. Slide a thin metal spatula between the crust and the bottom of the pan to loosen, then slide the cake onto a serving plate. Let the cheesecake stand at room temperature about 30 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve. (Use a long, thin, sharp knife that has been run under hot water and then dried for slicing. Wipe the blade clean and rewarm between slices.) Serve with strawberry topping.

Strawberry Topping

• 2 pounds strawberries, cleaned, hulled, and cut lengthwise
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 1 cup strawberry jam
  • 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon

In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, sugar and salt. Allow to stand at room temperature 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the work bowl of a food processor, process jam until smooth, about 8 seconds.

Transfer to a small saucepan set over medium-high heat. Bring jam to a simmer stirring frequently, until dark and no longer frothy, about 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and mix in lemon juice. Pour the jam mixture over the strawberries and stir to combine.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Source: Baking Illustrated

Don’t forget to check out Sweet Pea’s Kitchen Top 10 of 2010! :)

45 Responses to “New York Style Cheesecake”

tryityoumightlikeit — January 2, 2011 @ 9:44 am

What a gorgeous cheesecake!

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Thank you! :)

KeepItSweet — January 2, 2011 @ 10:15 am

Your cheesecake really does look perfect. Happy Birthday!

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 11:04 am

It is soooo yummy! Thanks for the birthday wishes! :)

jm — January 2, 2011 @ 10:52 am

Happy Belated Birthday. What a great cake for a birthday celebration. Looks delicious and creamy. care to share a slice? :)

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Thanks so much!! I do have some left in my fridge just tempting me…I need to share it! :)

The Food Hound — January 2, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

M-m-m-m :) Love cheesecake!! I have the Fine Cooking “Cooking without recipes” spread on creating your own flavored cheesecake. It’s in the hopper of things to make :) Hope you had a lovely birthday!

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

Cheesecake is my favorite dessert ever! Can’t wait to see your version! :)

Sydney Jones — January 2, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

This looks wonderful :)

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

Thanks! It tastes really great too! :)

Jenn@eatcakefordinner — January 2, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

Happy Birthday yesterday! That cheesecake is mouthwatering. I just bought six packages of cream cheese, because I was going to attempt a cheesecake. Yours looks perfect.

• Christina replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

Thanks so much! :)

briarrose — January 3, 2011 @ 8:17 am

An excellent birthday dessert! Cheesecake is one of my favorite indulgences.

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

LOVE cheesecake! :)

Sara — January 3, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

Your cheesecake looks gorgeous! I’m like you – my go-to dessert for special occasions or my birthday is always cheesecake. Happy birthday to you!

• Christina replied: — January 3rd, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

Thank you so much! I agree you can’t go wrong with a big slice of cheesecake! Yummy! :)

D — January 4, 2011 @ 6:21 am

Beautiful cheesecake! I used this recipe last night, after looking for cheesecake recipes on foodgawker. It is such a wonderful recipe, and it turned out beautifully, like the picture. It was my first time making cheesecake, and the instructions are so easy to follow and thorough that it actually made me confident in the results. Thank you for posting this, and happy birthday!

• Christina replied: — January 4th, 2011 @ 11:21 pm

Thank you so much! I love this recipe! I am so happy that you tried this and enjoyed it as much as I did! :)

cookinginnh — January 5, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

Wow looks delicious! I heart cheesecake!

Honey — January 7, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

This looks incredible… So professional. I bet this tastes just like the real NY Style Cheesecake. Beautiful pictures! Stunning!
    Happy Belated!

• Christina replied: — January 7th, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

Thank you so much! :)

Food Lover — January 16, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

This is soooo yummyyy, can’t wait to try it and eat it right away :D

Shumaila — January 21, 2011 @ 1:11 am

Belated Happy Birthday! The cheesecake looks amazing!!!I want some!

L. — January 23, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

love that cheese cake recipe, thanks for sharing it, Happy Be-lated Birthday!!

kelly — April 2, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

It’s in the oven as I type. It was so easy to mix up. Can’t wait to try it. Going to top it with strawberries maybe even blueberries. Let you know how I like the taste when its finished and ready to eat. Thank!

• kelly replied: — April 2nd, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

Out of the oven now! If it taste as good as it looks it will be yummmy for my tummy…..

• Christina replied: — April 3rd, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I hope you enjoy it! Let me know how it turns out! :)

• KELLY replied: — May 6th, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

OMG…..it was yummy….and easy to bake. a little heavier than wanted but pretty digity dang on darn good….love it….thanks so much….

Desiree — November 21, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

Hi I was wondering if the recipie calls for 5 8 ounce cream cheese packages?

• Christina replied: — November 21st, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

Desiree,

Yes, the recipe calls for using five 8-ounce packages of cream cheese (2 1/2 pounds total). If you end up giving it a try I would love to hear how it turns out for you! :)

Desiree — November 22, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Yeah, I was planning on making it for Thanksgiving, and I also had another question. Its 2 egg yolks and 6 whole eggs for a total of 8 eggs in the recipie?

• Christina replied: — November 22nd, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Yep! 8 eggs total! :)

Cathy — December 5, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

Thank you for posting this recipe. I made 2 for the holiday & they were a hit and so delicious!!! My mom used to have a bakery & this recipe was a hit with her too :-) Great photo you posted too.

• Christina replied: — December 8th, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

Cathy,
      I love hearing that you enjoyed the cheesecakes! Cheesecake is my favorite dessert and I just love this recipe! :)

Lisa Hobbs — December 9, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Just put mine in the oven.

• Christina replied: — December 12th, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

Lisa,
      I hope you enjoyed the cheesecake! Cheesecake is my favorite dessert and I just love this recipe! :)

Houston McClure — December 17, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

Hi, I’m making this cheesecake right now! It looks awesome in the oven. I chose not to make the strawberry portion…and I accidentally mixed everything together instead of slowly adding it in as the recipe says. It should be still good. Thanks for posting!

• Christina replied: — December 22nd, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

Houston,
      I hope that you enjoyed the cheesecake! This recipe is one of my favorites! :)

21. Pingback: Chocolate Turtle Cheesecake | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

22. Pingback: Carrot Cake | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

frank — February 23, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

What have you done to me.. I tried this recipe last year and now everyone in my family wants one for their birthday and believe me I have a very large family, they all think I am the best baker ever. lol well thanks for giving such great recipes with easy to understand instructions. however I may have to send you a list of people so you can help me bake all of these things.

24. Pingback: Classic Panna Cotta | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Lesly — August 4, 2012 @ 3:57 pm

Can Heavy Cream Be Used Instead Of Sour Cream?

• Christina replied: — August 7th, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

Lesly,
      I have read in other cheesecake recipes that you can substitute the sour cream for heavy cream, however, since I have not tried doing this I cannot tell you what the results would be. If you give it a try I would love to hear how it turns out for you! :)

Eilin — February 3, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

It’s in the oven!!! omg, omg. I’d never baked this before. Let’s see!

I love your site! and I’ve already tried many of your coookies, they are fantastic, everybody loves them! Now they’re my go to recipe.