Black and White Banana Loaf
Black and White Banana Loaf with swirls of dark chocolate and a hint of rum and lemon is a delicious way to start your day. This moist banana bread is perfect as a quick breakfast or you can serve with a scoop of ice cream and you have an incredible dessert. Whenever you choose to enjoy this bread, watch out-it is quite addicting!
I always have a bunch of bananas hanging around my house and sometimes I have more than I can possibly eat before they turn spotty brown. So I usually either freeze the ripe bananas to use in after workout protein shakes or I turn them into delicious baked goods. This weekend I was looking through one of my favorite cookbooks and saw the picture and recipe for this amazing banana loaf, I was hooked and so excited to give it a try. As this bread was baking it smelled amazing! You could smell it from outside our house and my husband swore that we would have people knocking on our door.
I hope that everyone had a wonderful weekend! The weather here was absolutely amazing, upper 60’s and sunny. Did I mention that I love this time of year? It was supposed to rain and thunderstorm all day on Sunday, but fortunately the weather man was wrong and it was gorgeous! How did you spend your weekend?
Black and White Banana Loaf
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 ripe bananas
- squirt of lemon juice
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg; Set aside.
- In small bowl, mash the bananas with the lemon juice and zest. Stir in rum.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave on high power for 45 seconds. Stir. If un-melted pieces remain continue microwaving and stirring the chocolate in ten-second intervals until it is all melted and smooth; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add sugars and beat until light and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and beat until combined. On low speed, add half of the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. With the mixer still running, pour in milk and mix until blended. Add remaining flour and banana mixture and mix on low until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the bowl with melted chocolate and stir to combine. Drop alternating spoonfuls of both batters into the prepared pan, then, using a table knife, swirl the batters together, taking care not to overdo it.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely before serving, at least 1 hour.
Source: Baking: From My Home to Yours