Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal

I eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning for breakfast, the heart-healthy whole grains have a distinct heartiness that satisfies for hours. Here’s one delicious recipe to add to your oatmeal list. Wanna know the best part? The slow cooker does all the work! :) Throw this oatmeal in the slow cooker the night before and wake up to a hearty and delicious breakfast. This hands-off recipe is especially wonderful on those hectic weekday mornings, just grab a bowl and you are off! The dried fruit absorbs the liquid and plumps for incredible flavor. Try adding dried apples, blueberries, cherries, bananas, dates, prunes…any combination of 1 3/4 cup of dried fruit you can think of. The choice is up to you! :) Whatever combination you choose, you can feel good knowing that you will be left feeling full and satisfied for hours.

One Year Ago: Corn Bread with Honey Butter

Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal

For the Oatmeal:

• 1 cup steel cut oats
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1 cup dried figs
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half

For Topping:

• 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ

1. Combine all ingredients for the oatmeal in a slow cooker and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 7 to 8 hours.
  2. Stir and spoon into serving bowls. Top each bowl with 1 tablespoon of toasted almonds and 1 tablespoon of toasted wheat germ.

Yields: 4 servings

Source: adapted from Alton Brown, Food Network

10 Responses to “Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal”

Michael Ann Riley — September 4, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

I LOVE oatmeal and this looks so awesome!!! I am printing it up right now! Do you like Meusli?

chicaandaluza — September 4, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Had never heard of steel cut oats – very interesting! I love oatmeal (or porridge as we call it!) and eat it a lot in winter but really should eat it all year round as its so good. This sounds so tasy and, as you say, keeps you full for hours.

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide — September 4, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

That looks so hearty and delicious. My steel cut oats normally go in bread!

Mandy@Withmilkandflour — September 4, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

I never knew you could do porridge in a pressure cooker! I have been considering a pressure cooker for awhile now, this recipe is another reason to get one. I love my porridge thick with abit of butter and a little layer of milk on top.

Rach @ This Italian Family — September 4, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

Ooh, I love how nice and thick it is! Looks yummy!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos — September 4, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

i love the overnight steel cut oats recipe! slow cooker makes oatmeal so delightful. :D

Sasha @ The Procrastobaker — September 5, 2011 @ 6:45 am

I too eat oats every single morning but have jumbo rolled oats rather than steel cut. Ive alwaayysss wanted to try steel cut as everyone that does seems to just rave about it! This looks like such a delicious recipe, i mean is there any better start the morning than that right there (debatable!) Gorgeous and if i ever do try to convert myself then this will be a recipe I try for sure :)

sportsglutton — September 5, 2011 @ 8:17 am

I’ve never tried the slow cooker route for oatmeal, but this sounds great. Might have to give it a go. :-)

Judy — September 5, 2011 @ 8:26 am

As the weather turn colder, yogurt gives way to oatmeal for us. Great recipe for a healthy breakfast!

Karen — September 5, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

What a wonderful breakfast to have waiting for you on a cold winter morning.