Baked ziti with a layer of sour cream, three kinds of Italian cheeses, saute ground beef and pasta sauce come together to make a fast and easy weeknight meal. Using the ready-made jarred spaghetti sauce really helps reduce the prep time-getting this scrumptious meal on the table in less than an hour. Serve with garlic bread and a side salad for a midweek meal you won’t soon forget. Next time you are craving Italian pasta but do not have the time to make lasagna, give this recipe a try, you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 pound dry ziti pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Sauté ground beef, onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a large skillet until onion is tender and beef is lightly browned. Drain off excess fat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, sauce mixture, Provolone cheese, sour cream, sauce mixture, remaining ziti, sauce mixture, mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.
Source: adapted from allrecipes.com