Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

These Carrot Cake Cupcakes are unbelievably moist, packed with grated carrots and swirled with a luscious cream cheese frosting. Every Easter, carrot cake always makes an appearance on our dinner table. It just wouldn’t be Easter without a giant slice of cake and a glass of milk. For years carrot cake has been my absolute favorite flavor of cake. It is one of those flavors that I only get requests to make around this time of year. That could be why it is one of my favorites. I always forget how incredibly amazing they are! I don’t like my cake with nuts or pineapple or even coconut. No, I like my carrot cake with just carrots and spices. Now don’t get me wrong, I would never pass up a slice-even if it does have coconut, pineapple or nuts! ;) Make sure these cupcakes make an appearance on your holiday table, you will be glad you did!

Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

• 1½ cups canola, safflower or vegetable oil
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
  • 12 oz. cream cheese, cold
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with baking cup liners.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt; set aside.
  3. In a food processor fitted with a shredding disk, shred the carrots. Transfer the carrots to the bowl with the dry ingredients and set aside. Rinse out the bowl of the food processor and fit with the metal blade. Process the sugars and eggs until frothy and combined, about 20 seconds. With the machine running, add the oil in a steady stream through the feed tube. Continue to process until the mixture is light in color and combined, about 20 more seconds. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the carrots and dry ingredients until incorporated and no streaks of flour remain.
  4. Divide the batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature.
  5. To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract.  Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.

Source: Gimme Some Oven, originally from Cook’s Illustrated

21 Responses to “Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 22, 2011 @ 8:13 am

These look great! Usually people load carrot cake with nuts, raisins, etc. but I prefer it this way, yum!

Cara — April 22, 2011 @ 8:19 am

These look great! I love carrot cake as well, and without all the added “stuff”. Just carrots and lots of spices please! :)

briarrose — April 22, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Lovely. I prefer my carrot cakes to be just carrots and spices as well….though I’ve never turned down any form of carrot cake. ;)

happywhennothungry — April 22, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Great minds think alike! I just made these cupcakes this past week. Yours look delicious. So perfect for Easter and spring!

Linda — April 22, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Oh Yum! Another recipe for my Sweet Pea file! Keep up the good work!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 — April 22, 2011 @ 10:12 am

This recipe is my absolute favorite for carrot cake. It’s just so moist and perfect, but not too oily or sweet. Your cupcakes looks so perfect! You’re really amazing when it comes to frosting.

Fresh and Foodie — April 22, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Carrot cake is my favorite non-chocolate dessert and yours looks really great. I wish I could pipe frosting at perfectly as you do!

Jenny — April 22, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

These look delish, I don’t think I’ve ever had a carrot cupcake but I’d definitely have this one ;)

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos — April 22, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

ahhh carrot cake goodness!!! sweet pea, who are all the lucky ppl to get to eat your baked goods?!! :D

Caroline — April 22, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

YUM! I love carrot cake as well. These look delicious–and great job with the piping. ;)

Baking Serendipity — April 22, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

Carrot cake cupcakes are the perfect Easter treat :) Yours look fantastic! PS: I have a fun giveaway going on right now…stop by and check it out!

Sara — April 23, 2011 @ 12:24 am

I’m totally with you on the pineapple- and coconut-free carrot cake, but I do like walnuts or pecans, either in the cake or the frosting. I still wouldn’t turn these down, though — they look absolutely delicious!

Brave New Food — April 23, 2011 @ 9:47 am

I made these based on Martha Stewart’s recipe earlier this week – very similar. and very yummy. :D Happy Easter!

Livin' in the Kitchen — April 23, 2011 @ 10:49 am

Mmm! Those look absolutely delicious. The first cake I ever tried was a carrot cake with no nuts, coconut, or pineapple, on my 1st birthday. It’s stuck! These look mouthwatering, I almost forgot I could make these for easter!

Lena — April 23, 2011 @ 11:41 am

wow! look so pretty! you’re really good..i think next time i make carrot cake must skip the pineapple too..

chefshellina — April 23, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Holy WOW! These are beautiful! Did you take that picture? It’s awesome. Love the recipe- thanks for sharing.

17. Pingback: Monday Link-Around 4/25 « Sanguine Style

Rose — May 1, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

How do you frost your cupcakes perfectly?

Jackie — September 7, 2012 @ 1:58 am

Hi

Why do you use COLD cream cheese in this recipe instead of room temperature cream cheese.

Kim — February 27, 2014 @ 9:10 pm

The best cupcakes ever, thank you so much for the recipe!

• Christina replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 9:12 pm

I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed the cupcakes Kim!! Thank so much for letting me know how they turned out for you! :)