This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Baba Ghanoush is an excellent vegetarian appetizer made from roasted eggplant, lemon juice, garlic and tahini. It is a healthy snack that can be enjoyed alongside hummus, pita bread, naan, black olives, tomato wedges and cucumber slices. This is Middle Eastern treat is always a welcome addition to my families dinner. I have tried several different recipes over the years and this recipe is our favorite. Make sure that you are not in a big hurry and forget to prick the eggplants with a fork before baking.
Believe me, I have learned from experience and have forgotten to prick them. Just let me tell you it scared me and my dogs when it exploded in the oven! Not cool! Baba ghanoush is such an easy appetizer to make for your next party, get-together, or family reunion.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
- 2 pounds eggplant, about 2 large globe, 5 medium Italian, or 12 medium Japanese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Prick eggplants with a fork and place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Bake the eggplants until it is soft inside, about 40-60 minutes. you should be able to easily poke a paring knife into them and meet no resistance. Cool eggplants on baking sheet 5 minutes.
- Trim top and bottom off each eggplant. Slit eggplants lengthwise and use spoon to scoop hot pulp from skins. Place pulp in a colander set over a bowl or sink; discard skins. Let pulp drain 3 minutes.
- Transfer pulp to workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, salt, and pepper; process until mixture has coarse, choppy texture, about eight 1-second pulses. Adjust salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste; transfer to serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap flush with surface of dip, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- To serve, use spoon to make trough in center of dip and drizzle olive oil into it; sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!