Cool off during these dog days of summer with this refreshing California Salad with Zesty Sprouts. Mixed greens are tossed with toasted sunflower seeds, plenty of luscious strawberries, plump blueberries and tossed with a simple zesty orange vinaigrette dressing. I like to serve this simple summer salad as a side salad for the Orange Glazed Grilled Chicken.
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Salad:
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 8 cups mixed green salad
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, shallots, honey, mustard, cayenne pepper, poppy seeds and salt. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Toss alfalfa sprouts and orange zest with 6 tablespoons vinaigrette; set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the mixed greens, strawberries, blueberries and sunflower seeds. Pour remaining vinaigrette over salad and toss.
- Divide greens and strawberries among 8 plates and place a mound of dressed sprouts on the side.
Source: adapted from Cuisine Lite Fresh and Fabulous