Chewy Ginger Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This the season to make and eat cookies and here’s one cookie you just have to try. The combination of ground, crystallized, and fresh ginger give these cookies their intense spicy flavor.
I just love the little bits of candied ginger in these cookies…they are seriously addictive! These soft, and chewy cookies are rolled in sanding sugar before baking to produce a scrumptious crinkly sugar crust.
With three types of ginger and blackstrap molasses, these cookies are sure to be a favorite this holiday season.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Chewy Ginger Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup blackstrap, robust molasses
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup raw or sanding sugar
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- Preheat to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper;set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat brown sugar, shortening, and butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add egg, molasses, grated ginger, and vanilla; beat just to blend. Add flour mixture; beat on low speed just to blend. Mix in crystallized ginger (dough will be very soft and sticky).
- Place raw sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a 1½-inch ball, roll the ball in the sugar, and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, spacing the balls about 2 inches apart
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until edges are firm and centers appear cracked, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets about 3 minutes; using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Source: Bon Appétit Magazine, December 2011