This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Coconut rice is the perfect side dish for coconut lovers like me! Jasmine rice is simmered in coconut milk, water and lime juice giving it a rich and tropical flavor. Topped with a sprinkling of toasted coconut and lime zest, making it an incredible alternative to boring plain rice. Many Caribbean and Thai dishes are often accompanied by coconut rice to temper the heat of spicy food. If you are a fan of coconut like me, you will love this awesome side dish! 🙂
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups jasmine rice, washed and drained well
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 limes, juice from 1 lime and grated zest of the other lime
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut flake
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar and salt, stirring until dissolved. Increase heat to high, add rice and stir until rice is evenly coated. Add coconut milk and water, stirring until combined. Squeeze one of the limes into the mixture then throw the squeezed lime into the rice. Add cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil and cover pot. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Remove pot from heat but do not open lid. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, toast the coconut by spreading onto a rimmed sheet pan. Toast in a 350°F oven, stirring frequently, until the coconut is an even brown color, about 10 minutes.
- Remove lime and cinnamon stick before serving. To serve, sprinkle rice with lime zest and toasted coconut.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!
Source: adapted from Steamy Kitchen