I have seen many different varieties of bread knots lately and couldn’t wait to try a recipe. I decided on a garlic knot just based on my love of anything with garlic. I was very impressed with how they turned out! 🙂 Delicious, soft, and savory homemade garlic knots are perfect with just about any meal. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese for a cheesy garlic knot.
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1 3/4 cup warm water (115°F)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Sea Salt to taste
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine water, 1/4 cup olive oil, sea salt, sugar, and active dry yeast. Mix to dissolve yeast. Pour mixture over flour and knead until soft. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, until doubled in volume (usually 1-3 hours depending on initial water temperature and warmth of proofing area).
- Line three baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Turn dough out into a lightly oiled surface. Oil your hands and the rolling pin. Divide the dough in two. Gently flatten with your hands. Using the rolling pin, shape into an even rectangle approximately 5 inches x 16 inches and 1/2 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter, slice the rectangle into 3/4 inch x 5 inch strips.
- Sprinkle dough strips with flour. Taking the strip nearest to you, roll it back and forth to create an even rope. Tie into a knot and place on prepared baking sheet. Place knots about an 1 1/2″ apart. Continue shaping dough to make the remaining knots. Repeat with the second piece of dough.
- Cover baking sheets with a dry towel, and place in a warm, draft-free spot to rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- After knots have doubled in size, bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While knots are baking, make garlic coating. In a small saucepan over low heat, gently warm olive oil, butter, and garlic. Add chopped parsley and set aside.
- After removing knots from oven, while still warm, either brush with garlic coating, or place knots in a large bowl and toss with garlic coating. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Serve warm.