I have been on quite an oatmeal kick lately. I eat oatmeal every morning and realized the breakfast that I eat every morning I have not been sharing with my readers. Why should I be keeping all of these delicious oatmeal recipes to myself? So here is one of my favorites. It combines two incredible grains, hearty whole grain steel cut oats and high fiber pearl barley. This incredible breakfast will keep you full and satisfied for hours. This one serving recipe comes from Cooking Light magazine. This one serving recipe makes it super easy to grab during busy mornings. No dividing the oatmeal between bowls, this one is all yours! If you feel generous enough to share this multigrain oatmeal, you can easily double this recipe, just make sure to add more microwaving time. 🙂
- 1/3 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 tablespoons uncooked pearl barley
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large 4 cup capacity bowl, combine oats, barley, and 1 1/4 cups water. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Uncover bowl, and stir in salt. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 6 minutes, stirring well after 3 minutes, until most of liquid is absorbed, Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Top with toasted almonds and honey.
Source: Cooking Light, January 2010