Here is one of my absolute favorite dishes to make for a special occasion. The chicken is extremely moist and flavorful. When my husband Andrew tried this recipe for the first time he exclaimed, “this is the best chicken you have ever made!” I think that I would have to agree. Serve this with garlic mashed potatoes for an excellent dinner combination. Want to know one of the best parts of this dish? It is only 282 calories per serving! That’s right…not only is it absolutely delicious…it is healthy too! I hope you also find this recipe worthy of a special occasion!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 thinly sliced red bell peppers
- 2 thinly sliced yellow bell peppers
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 2 large)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine 1 teaspoon salt, fennel seeds, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Brush chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle spice rub over chicken. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over; cook 1 minute. Arrange chicken in an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160°
3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, shallots, and rosemary; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and scrape pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve bell pepper mixture over chicken. Garnish with chopped rosemary.