Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars

Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble bars with crumbly oats, plump and juicy blueberries and a hint of lemon make these crumble bars the perfect snack or dessert. These bars are super easy to make, taste delicious and wonderful for those upcoming summer cookouts, picnics, or pot lucks. They have the picture perfect balance of fruity, tangy and crumbly. You might have noticed that these oatmeal crumble bars are similar to the Blueberry Crumble Bars that I shared with you in January, except with these the crust and crumble have crunchy oats. These crumble bars are best straight out of the refrigerator and even better topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! ;)

Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars

• 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons lemon zest
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened and cubed
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook blueberries, lemon juice and lemon zest until fruit is tender, about 8-10 minutes.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Stir into fruit mixture and continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes, until thick. Scrape berry filling into a medium bowl and set aside.
  4. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse together flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, baking soda, salt and vanilla extract until thoroughly blended and resembles coarse crumbs.
  5. Reserve 1 ½ cups of the mixture and set aside. Pour the rest of the mixture into the prepared pan and use your hands or the back of a large wooden spoon to push the crust into an even layer at the bottom of the pan.
  6. Spread the blueberry filling evenly on top of the crust. Sprinkle the reserved 1 1/2 cup crust mixture evenly on top of the filling.
  7. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, rotating the pan every 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the filling starts to bubble around the edges.
  8. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then cut into squares and serve. The bars can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days.

Yields: 20 bars

Source: adapted from Baking Bites, originally adapted from Land O Lakes

Can’t get enough crumble bars? Neither can I! Click here for some more flavors! :D

19 Responses to “Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars”

jenna laughs — May 11, 2011 @ 10:27 am

True story… I was actually just looking for some kind of bar cookie or granola bar recipe to make this weekend. I have a friend coming to visit and wanted to send him home with baked goods that travel well… and then you posted this! Yay!

Lindsay @Eat, Knit, Grow — May 11, 2011 @ 11:33 am

Yum! Those look amazing!!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 11, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Lately I want to make everything on your blog and these are no different! Yum!

sweetlife — May 11, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

yummy, i love blueberries and this would be perfect for the upcoming bake sale!

sweetlife

happywhennothungry — May 11, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

These look beautiful! Love how fresh and perfect they are for spring!

muppy — May 11, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

You just made me very hungry (again!).

Honey @ Honey, WHat's Cooking — May 12, 2011 @ 12:39 am

oooh, these look delicious. i love blueberries and anything crumb. :)

Sara — May 12, 2011 @ 6:58 am

This and a scoop of vanilla ice cream sound delicious! Like a blueberry cobbler but so much better.

Karly — May 12, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Ooh, those look like such a yummy treat!

gluttonandstudent — May 16, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

these look so good. I’m a sucker for a fruit and oatmeal crumble, so I’m definitely looking forward to making your recipe!

eileen — June 6, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

I am making this for the second time. It was so delicious that my daughter and I stood at the stove and kept cutting till we had eaten almost half of it!

• Christina replied: — June 6th, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

I am so glad that you enjoyed them! I laughed out loud when I read that you stood my the stove and cut out piece after piece! My husband and I did the same thing!! :D

12. Pingback: Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars «

13. Pingback: Lemon Blueberry Bars | Two Peas & Their Pod

14. Pingback: Peach Crumble Bars | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

15. Pingback: Strawberry Crumble Bars | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Lee — June 20, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

This is a perfect dessert to bring to a picnic or pot luck. Everyone loves them the only problem is we generally eat the majority before we leave the house. They are too good!

Lotus Baker — August 21, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

My husband is a great baker and I tend to be pretty terrible…Today, I got lucky when I found this awesome recipe!! The only “switch” I made was using only 2 cups of fresh blueberries and 1 cup of fresh huckleberries that we just picked on a hike where the huckleberries were wildly growing unexpectedly. :) My daughter and I couldn’t stop eating them!! We went to give the lady who sold us the blueberries at a produce place a few, but unfortunately she had left; however another woman there said with a sly grin that she would be happy to take them and give them to the owner! ;) Somehow, I’m not so sure that happened. But when we got home, my husband…the baker extraordinaire…said these bars were the BEST baked goodies he’s EVER EATEN!!!!!!!! For all of you who don’t know my husband (which none of you do)…that’s a HUGE Compliment to this recipe!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Christina replied: — August 22nd, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

Ha!! So glad to hear that your husband enjoyed these bars. They are one of my favorites too and never last too long in our house! :)