Blueberry Crumble Bars
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
As you might have remembered from my Blueberriest Muffin recipe from yesterday, I scored some inexpensive blueberries at the grocery store this weekend. I stocked up (ok maybe went a little crazy) on blueberries! 😉 One of the best things about blueberries is that they freeze very well. But before I froze all the berries, I had to make some yummy treats.
I have been holding on to this recipe for months now. My love affair with fruit crumble bars all started this past summer when I made Raspberry Crumb Breakfast Bars. It was love at first bite! Ever since then, whenever I see a recipe for a fruit crumble bar I have to make it!
Plump and juicy blueberries and a hint of lemon make these crumble bars the perfect snack or dessert.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Blueberry Crumble Bars
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, 2 sticks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch glass or light-colored metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine 1 cup sugar, flour, and baking powder on low speed. Add salt and lemon zest and mix until combined. Add the butter, toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Add egg and mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan. Place reserved half aside.
- In another small bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely on wire rack then transfer to the refrigerator to chill before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!