Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

Here’s a classic boxed recipe that you can make right in your own kitchen! Funfetti Cupcakes! :D I made these delicious cupcakes for a friend that just told us that she is pregnant! What better way to celebrate such exciting news than with Funfetti Cupcakes?! We went over to their house and celebrated with several friends while eating  homemade pizza, cupcakes, and hot wings. Funfetti, isn’t just for kids’ birthday parties anymore! ;) It is so easy to make your own Funfetti cupcakes from scratch. In fact, you might have everything in your pantry right now! You want to make sure that you use multi-colored “jimmies” in these cupcakes. They keep their vibrant colors once baked, unlike some of the other types of sprinkles I have tried. So what are you waiting for? Grab some sprinkles and let’s get baking!

One Year Ago: Milanese-Style Chicken with Roasted Pepper Sauce

For the Buttercream Frosting:
  • 20 tablespoons (2½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2½ cups Confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon table salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
  2. In a 2-cup glass measure, combine milk, egg whites, and extracts and mix with fork until blended.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and continue beating at slow speed until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no powdery streaks remaining.
  4. Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to crumbs and beat at medium speed for 1½ minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat 30 seconds more. Stop mixer and scrape sides of bowl. Return mixer to medium speed and beat 20 seconds longer. Fold in sprinkles. Divide the batter evenly among muffin pan cups.
  5. Bake 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean. Transfer muffin pan to wire rack to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cool completely prior to frosting.
  6. To make buttercream frosting, in standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add confectioners’ sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds. Scrape down bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds; scrape bowl, add vanilla and heavy cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds, then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.
  7. Place frosting into a large decorators decorating bag fitted with the 1M decorating tip and approximately 1/4″ above cupcake top at a 90° angle to cupcake surface,  pipe a spiral of icing, beginning at the outer edge and working inward. Sprinkle with remaining sprinkles.

Yields: 24 cupcakes or 1 two-layer cake
Prep Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes (includes cooling)
Bake Time: 22 minutes

Source: cupcakes adapted from Simply Scratch, frosting from Mardi Gras Cupcakes

42 Responses to “Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes”

elaine harris — January 8, 2012 @ 2:20 pm

These look delicious! The girls at work will love these. Thanks

Paula @ Dishing the Divine — January 8, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

My husband LOVES funfetti cakes! :) I’ll have to make these for him! :)

Rach @ This Italian Family — January 8, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

They are so festive! :)

Sally — January 8, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Did you really mean 1/8 of a Tablespoon of salt in the frosting? Or should that be teaspoon? If so, how do you measure 1/8 of a Tablespoon?

• Christina replied: — January 10th, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

Sally,
      Thanks so much for pointing that out! It is supposed to be 1/8 teaspoon! I fixed it in the recipe to the correct amount! :)

Melissa Kayser — January 8, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

Do the jimmies soften in the cakes or are they still a little crunchy?

• Christina replied: — January 11th, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

Melissa,
      The sprinkles soften inside the cupcakes as they bake. If you give them a try I would love to know how they turn out for you! :)

Tamera Jones — January 8, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

perfect timing…have to make something sweet for my twins this wknd. Thought about baking them in cake ice cream cones? I’ve seen it done…

• Christina replied: — January 11th, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

Tamera,
      That is an awesome idea! I have never tried baking cupcakes in ice cream cones before…let me know how they turn out! :)

ChgoJohn — January 8, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

Sprinkles in and on cupcakes! What joy! These are a party waiting to happen.

8. Pingback: Sunday Thoughts « Post Grad Life

raquel — January 8, 2012 @ 10:45 pm

wow I like the colors inside the color is very attractive specially for the kids.

Megan — January 8, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

I love Funfetti cupcakes…definitely going to try this!!

Chica Andaluza — January 9, 2012 @ 3:27 am

A fiesta in a cupcake!

The Teenage Taste — January 9, 2012 @ 6:18 am

These are so cute and Funfetti just happens to be one of my favorite cupcake flavors! Thanks for posting! :-D

Jill@MadAboutMacarons — January 9, 2012 @ 7:44 am

Too right: why just keep these fun sprinkles for the kids? Never heard of Jimmies before – in Scotland that’s just about anyone’s name, though ;-) Will have to look out for them. I wonder if they’d work in macarons?

Erin — January 9, 2012 @ 9:14 am

Funfetti is my absolute favorite! But I have to try to make it myself now.

geet — January 9, 2012 @ 9:52 am

Thanks for the wonderful idea. I have to make birthday cupcakes next week and this is super exciting to make for a 3 year old birthday. Thanks Christina :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 9, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Congrats on your friend’s pregnancy!! These cupcakes look fantastic!

fitnessnfoodiegirl — January 9, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

These look awesome and fun! I love all the colors!

thesundaysweet — January 10, 2012 @ 12:18 am

I love homemade funfetti! I can’t ever have enough sprinkles in my life. (or yogurt chips)

iamahoneybee — January 10, 2012 @ 10:04 am

I love funfetti.it’s the best birthday cake!

kat — January 10, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

oh yum! love at all those sprinkles!! i am in love :)

Stefanie — January 10, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

Always loved funfetti cupcakes!! These look great :)

Lucie Rose — January 11, 2012 @ 10:30 am

Funfetti brings me right back to when I was 6… I love the sprinkles!

Willa@ArmstrongFamilyFare — January 13, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

LOVE them!! They’re so cute, adults and kids would love these! Great idea for the next party or get together that we have! Thanks for sharing!

Tamera Jones — January 13, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

Made these for my boy’s “half” birthday party with his kindergarten class today. Made the buttercream chocolate and baked them in ice cream cones. Big hit. Will definitely make them again!

• Christina replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Tamera,
      I am so glad that everyone enjoyed the cupcakes! So much fun for a kindergarten party! I bet they were so cute in the ice cream cones. I have to give that a try! Thanks so much for letting me know how they turned out! :D

susie — January 13, 2012 @ 11:09 pm

Homemade funfetti is awesome! I swear everyone loves a funfetti cupcake. They look fantastic.

26. Pingback: Funfetti Whoopie Pies | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

Maureen — January 17, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

I made these Over the weekend so yummy and easy! Thanks for the recipe

• Christina replied: — January 19th, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

Maureen,
      Yea! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the cupcakes. They are too yummy and too incredibly easy to make…not a good combination for my willpower! ;)

Lacy — January 17, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

Definitely my favorite kind of cake (besides red velvet of course, its a toss up!)!! This sounds amazing. I’ve always wanted to try funfetti from scratch, your recipe sounds (and looks) incredible!

Jenn — January 24, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

Want to make these now, but I do not have cake flour. I di have regular all purpose flour. Would that work? Any tips?

• Christina replied: — February 3rd, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

Jenn,
      For this recipe I would only use cake flour. Cake flour has a low protein content so less gluten forms when you mix it into the batter. Low protein and less gluten makes for a fine, soft, even crumb. It is essential for creating these tender cupcakes, otherwise it will make the cupcake dry and tough.

30. Pingback: Hopping Bunny Rolls | Sweet Pea's Kitchen

31. Pingback: Alice is One! :: Annie Get Your Glue Gun

Sarah — August 18, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

I wanted a white cupcake recipe to make pink cupcakes for my daughter’s 4th birthday. These came out perfect. I doubled the recipe and that worked great too. I also made them in ice cream cones and found I had to cook them about 30 minutes. I love all your cupcake recipes!

• Christina replied: — August 31st, 2013 @ 9:54 pm

Yay! So happy to hear that you enjoyed them! The ice cream cone idea sounds super cute! :)

Jenn — January 25, 2014 @ 8:15 am

Hi Christina,

How would make this into 2 9 inch cakes? How long would I bake it? Any ideas? Would one recipe be enough?

Jenn — January 25, 2014 @ 5:54 pm

Never mind! I just saw that it says it can make a layer cake, too.

• Christina replied: — January 27th, 2014 @ 3:21 pm

I hope you enjoy the cake Jenn! :)