Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
Here’s a classic boxed recipe that you can make right in your own kitchen! Funfetti Cupcakes! 😀 I made these delicious cupcakes for a friend that just told us that she is pregnant! What better way to celebrate such exciting news than with Funfetti Cupcakes?! We went over to their house and celebrated with several friends while eating homemade pizza, cupcakes, and hot wings. Funfetti, isn’t just for kids’ birthday parties anymore! 😉 It is so easy to make your own Funfetti cupcakes from scratch. In fact, you might have everything in your pantry right now! You want to make sure that you use multi-colored “jimmies” in these cupcakes. They keep their vibrant colors once baked, unlike some of the other types of sprinkles I have tried. So what are you waiting for? Grab some sprinkles and let’s get baking!
One Year Ago: Milanese-Style Chicken with Roasted Pepper Sauce
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sprinkles, plus more for garnish
- 20 tablespoons (2½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2½ cups Confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a 2-cup glass measure, combine milk, egg whites, and extracts and mix with fork until blended.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and continue beating at slow speed until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no powdery streaks remaining.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to crumbs and beat at medium speed for 1½ minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat 30 seconds more. Stop mixer and scrape sides of bowl. Return mixer to medium speed and beat 20 seconds longer. Fold in sprinkles. Divide the batter evenly among muffin pan cups.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean. Transfer muffin pan to wire rack to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cool completely prior to frosting.
- To make buttercream frosting, in standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add confectioners’ sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds. Scrape down bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds; scrape bowl, add vanilla and heavy cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds, then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.
- Place frosting into a large decorators decorating bag fitted with the 1M decorating tip and approximately 1/4″ above cupcake top at a 90° angle to cupcake surface, pipe a spiral of icing, beginning at the outer edge and working inward. Sprinkle with remaining sprinkles.
Yields: 24 cupcakes or 1 two-layer cake
Prep Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes (includes cooling)
Bake Time: 22 minutes