This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Yesterday we jumped in the car and made the hour and a half drive to Champaign, Illinois for the game. We arrived early and tailgated in the parking lot with lots of other Buckeye fans. It was so great to see how many people from Columbus made the five-hour drive to cheer on the Buckeyes! Andrew bought us first row seats on the thirty yard line! I was so excited. Along with a few other tailgating goodies, I brought these delicious cupcakes and shared them with a few fans that were tailgating next to us. Dark chocolate cupcakes with a peanut butter ball in the middle and topped with a creamy peanut butter frosting. The perfect cupcake for any Buckeye fan!
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
For the Peanut Butter Ball Filling:
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
For Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 16 tablespoons 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup sour cream
For Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we'll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
- To Make the Peanut Butter Ball Filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on medium speed, mix confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, tablespoons butter and vanilla until blended. Shape mixture into 24 balls using heaping teaspoons. (Balls will be sticky and don’t need to be perfectly shaped.) Place balls on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet; set aside.
- To Make the Cupcakes: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line pan with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, combine butter, chocolate, and cocoa. Set bowl over saucepan containing barely simmering water; heat mixture until butter and chocolate are melted and whisk until smooth and combined. Set aside and cool until just warm to the touch.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs; add sugar, vanilla, and salt until fully incorporated. Add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Sift one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined; whisk in sour cream until combined. Sift remaining flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until batter is combined. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of batter into each cupcake liner. Drop 1 peanut butter ball in center of each cupcake. Top with remaining batter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before icing.
- To Make the Peanut Butter Frosting: in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl as you work. Add the heavy cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
Follow me on Pinterest for daily delicious recipes!