This Cajun Instant Pot Jambalaya Recipe is jam-packed with TONS of flavor, easy to make, and is perfect for your next big party. You will get sausage, chicken, tomatoes, peppers, rice, and more in every single bite. It’s impossible not to want more, and because it’s so simple to make it will quickly become a favorite dish.
Instant Pot Jambalaya Recipe
I have tried a lot of jambalaya recipes, and honestly, most of them are pretty darn tasty! However, cooking jambalaya in the Instant Pot gives it new life because those flavors really marinate together when cooked in a pressure cooker. The result is so flavorful and amazing that you can’t find jambalaya better than this anywhere. It’s simple enough; you can even make it on a weeknight when you have a million other things going on. It’s that easy!
Not only does it taste great, you actually get a bunch of food, so it’s perfect for feeding several people. I love serving this when we have a Mardi Gras party along with my Easy Mardi Gras Cupcakes. Part of the fun of throwing parties is all the yummy food and desserts! Now, I will eat this jambalaya any time of year, but I especially enjoy it when it’s Mardi Gras.
What Sausage is Traditional in Jambalaya?
Typically, the most traditional sausage that is in Jambalaya is andouille or smoked sausage. Both of those options create a flavor that is perfect with the Cajun flavors you are looking for. Plus, it’s hearty, filling, and tastes wonderful. You could choose to use a different type of sausage if you wanted to, but keep in mind that the flavors may not be as delicious. Use your best judgment, and whatever matches your preference, and I’m sure it will be great.
Will the Rice Overcook in an Instant Pot Jambalaya?
No, the rice will not overcook in the Instant Pot Jambalaya because we are using basmati rice. However, if you were to decide to use something like minute rice, you will end up with a soggy, mushy disaster. I don’t recommend using minute rice in this dish at all because it will overcook, and that’s exactly what you don’t want.
What is in Cajun Seasoning?
Cajun seasoning is filled with oregano, thyme, seasoning salt, chili flakes, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and a few others. It depends if you are buying it at the market or making it yourself at home what is going to be in it. Obviously, if you make it yourself, you can control the flavor and seasonings.
These ingredients are pretty simple and straightforward. Most of them you probably have, and the rest can easily be picked up at your local store.
- Olive oil
- Andouille sausage – You could also use a smoked sausage if that is what you have on hand.
- Chicken tenders, chopped
- Onion, chopped
- Green pepper, chopped
- Yellow pepper, chopped
- Red pepper, chopped
- Ribs celery, chopped
- Jalapenos, diced seeds removed – Feel free to add more if you like things extra spicy.
- Minced garlic
- Basmati rice- You can use other kinds of rice as long as it’s not minute rice.
- Cajun seasoning
- Bay leafs
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- Chicken broth
- Cooked shrimp, thawed shells removed
- Green onions diced for garnish
How to Make Instant Pot Jambalaya
Let your pressure cooker do most of the work; then you can sit back, relax, and indulge in this amazing dinner idea. Trust me; you are going to be a fan of this awesome Instant Pot Jambalaya.
First Step: Dice up the onions, peppers, jalapenos, and celery.
Second Step: Cut the chicken thighs and andouille sausage, so they are all in bite sized pieces.
Third Step: Turn on your Instant Pot to the saute setting and pour in the olive oil. Let it warm up for a few minutes until it’s hot.
Fourth Step: Add in the pieces of chicken tenders and brown them for 3 minutes, making sure to flip them and get all sides browned.
Fifth Step: Make sure to stir chicken, so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pressure cooker.
Sixth Step: Turn off the pressure cooker.
Seventh Step: Pour in the chicken broth and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Eighth Step: Place the onions, diced peppers, celery, garlic, jalapenos, salt, cajun seasoning, and thyme to the chicken broth. Stir to mix all the ingredients well.
Ninth Step: Add the basmati rice and give it a stir.
Tenth Step: Pour in the can of diced tomatoes and stir again.
Eleventh Step: Attach the lid and set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 8 minutes.
Twelfth Step: After the Instant Pot has finished cooking, allow it to do a natural release for 5 minutes, then finish with a quick release.
Thirteenth Step: Remove the lid and add in the cooked shrimp and sausage to the pressure cooker.
Fourteenth Step: Place the lid back on the Instant Pot and cook for another 5 minutes to warm the shrimp and sausage.
Fifteenth Step: Sprinkle with green onions and serve hot. Enjoy!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz andouille sausage
- 5-6 boneless chicken tenders, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, diced seeds removed
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 2 bay leafs
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz ( 16-20 ) cooked shrimp, thawed shells removed
- Green onions diced for garnish
- Chop the onion, peppers, jalapenos, and celery.
- Then slice the andouille sausage and cut the chicken thighs into bite sized pieces.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute and add the olive oil.
- Allow it warm up for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken tenders to the Instant Pot to brown.
- Brown for 3 minutes.
- Stir so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add the chicken broth to the instant pot to deglaze.
- Add the onion, peppers, celery, garlic, jalapenos, salt, Cajun seasoning, and thyme.
- Stir to mix the vegetables and seasoning.
- Add the rice and mix.
- Add the can of tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set it for Manual High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once the pressure cooker has finished cooking let it rest for 5 minutes, then manually release the pressure.
- Take the lid off and stir the cooked shrimp and sausage into the Instant Pot.
- Replace the lid and let it rest for another 5 minutes to warm the sausage and shrimp.
- Serve sprinkled with green onions.
Looking for more amazing dinner and lunch recipes? Check out a few of our favorites to get your inspired for your next meal:
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup – I love making soup in the pressure cooker because it’s so simple. Plus, it tastes like it’s been simmering on the stove for hours and hours. You have to try this to believe how terrific it is.
- Instant Pot Chicken And Gnocchi Soup – Oh my goodness, this soup is seriously one of the best things ever, and I can’t wait for you to taste it. I think you are going to be super impressed.
- Greek Chicken With Feta Tomato Salsa – This is perfect for an incredible lunch or supper. It’s fancy enough to serve to friends and easy enough to make to fix on those hectic days.
- Easy Baked Corned Beef And Cabbage – There is nothing more amazing than a traditional dish like baked corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick’s day or any other time of year.