This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
These Carrot Cake Cupcakes are unbelievably moist, packed with grated carrots and swirled with a luscious cream cheese frosting. Every Easter, carrot cake always makes an appearance on our dinner table. It just wouldn’t be Easter without a giant slice of cake and a glass of milk. For years carrot cake has been my absolute favorite flavor of cake.
It is one of those flavors that I only get requests to make around this time of year. That could be why it is one of my favorites. I always forget how incredibly amazing they are! I don’t like my cake with nuts or pineapple or even coconut. No, I like my carrot cake with just carrots and spices.
Now don’t get me wrong, I would never pass up a slice-even if it does have coconut, pineapple or nuts! 😉 Make sure these cupcakes make an appearance on your holiday table, you will be glad you did!
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
2½ cups all-purpose flour 1¼ teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 lb. (6-7 medium) carrots, peeled 1½ cups granulated sugar 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar 4 large eggs 1½ cups canola, safflower or vegetable oil For the Cream Cheese Frosting: 12 oz. cream cheese, cold 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. 6-7 medium carrots, peeled
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups canola, safflower or vegetable oil
- 12 oz. cream cheese, cold
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with baking cup liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt; set aside.
- In a food processor fitted with a shredding disk, shred the carrots. Transfer the carrots to the bowl with the dry ingredients and set aside. Rinse out the bowl of the food processor and fit with the metal blade. Process the sugars and eggs until frothy and combined, about 20 seconds. With the machine running, add the oil in a steady stream through the feed tube. Continue to process until the mixture is light in color and combined, about 20 more seconds. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the carrots and dry ingredients until incorporated and no streaks of flour remain.
- Divide the batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.