Happy 3rd birthday to my Yorkshire Terrier, Hemingway! Hemingway was born April 11, 2009 and has managed to wiggle his way right into our hearts. I was so excited!
They love going on long hikes, playing fetch, basking in the sun and chasing birds in the backyard. To say our dogs are spoiled is an understatement. We regularly take them to doggie daycare to socialize with other dogs, make homemade dog treats, and they even sleep in our bed.
Yes, I would say that they have the life, but I wouldn’t have it any other way! Since today is his third birthday I made him some of these Chicken and Cheddar Dog Biscuits. Both Hemingway and Winston went crazy over these treats!
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a large bowl, combine boiling water, oats and butter. Stir briefly and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the cornmeal, sugar, chicken bouillon, milk, cheese, and egg to the oat mixture and mix well. Stir in the whole wheat flour, one cup at a time, until a stiff dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead, adding additional flour if necessary, until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky.
- Divide the dough in half. Working with one half at a time, roll out the dough out with a rolling pin to ½-inch thickness. Cut into desired sizes depending on the size of your dog and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35-45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 126Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 17gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 4g